Collections care remit
All parts of the National Library of Scotland's collections should be made available for present and future generations.
The Collections Care division is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive policy and strategy to preserve NLS collections.
Areas of work encompassed by our division include:
- Conservation, whereby remedial treatments are applied to items in the collections, using condition surveys to establish priorities
- Preservation, including the manufacture of boxes and enclosures, the monitoring and control of the environment and disaster control
- Collections care training and awareness, to ensure that the collections are handled and used appropriately
- Delivering the collections care element of in-house exhibitions, and organising loans for external exhibitions
- Providing external services, to give training and advice to the library community in Scotland and beyond.