For some aspects of our service we need to collect specific personal details from you.
We collect and store personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998. This means:
- We will only use the information for the purposes we have stated.
- We will only hold on to the information as long as is necessary for these purposes.
- We will not pass on your details to other organisations without your permission, unless we are legally obliged to do so.
- You have the right to see what personal details we hold about you.
Occasionally we may send you relevant information about the National Library of Scotland — for example:
- New Library services that we think may interest you
- Disruptions that affect access to the collections, reading rooms or website.
A 'cookie' is a small data file added to your computer's hard drive.
If you have any concerns about the information we may hold about you, please contact us.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 0131 623 3700
- Write to us at:
National Library of Scotland
George IV Bridge
Freedom of Information
You can also make a request under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act (FOISA). Use the above contact details or fill in our online Freedom of Information enquiry form.
Audit Scotland may use personal data and other information about National Library of Scotland suppliers for data matching as part of the National Fraud Initiative. See the Suppliers' data page for details.