Joint Committee on Legal Deposit
The Joint Committee on Legal Deposit (JCLD) is a body composed of representatives from the legal deposit libraries and publishing trade associations.
Its main purpose is to facilitate co-operation between publishers and deposit libraries for the effective implementation of statutory and voluntary deposit arrangements.
Its work includes:
- Discussing non-print collecting policies
- Reaching mutual agreement on questions of interpretation
- Jointly assessing new developments
- Establishing technical pilots or voluntary schemes where appropriate.
JCLD terms of reference
JCLD brings together representatives of publishers and the deposit libraries to facilitate the effective implementation of legal deposit. Its functions are to:
- Discuss, agree and pursue interpretation guidelines, policies and processes to bring about the effective implementation of regulations made under the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003, the successful and cost-effective deposit of material liable for legal deposit, and the secure and effective provision of access to deposited material
- Evaluate the effectiveness of non-print legal deposit arrangements, assess the application of the regulations in practice and future needs, and gather evidence in preparation for Government's review of the regulations, taking into account the views of specialist task and finish groups
- Establish an independent appeals procedure in cases of dispute about legal deposit, and agree on the membership of the appeals panel, including an independent Chair
- Receive the legal deposit libraries' annual legal deposit collecting policy and report
- Receive confidential reports from security audits of the libraries’ legal deposit infrastructure.
The members of the JCLD Committee are:
- Angela Mills Wade, Publishers Content Forum
- Phil Spence, British Library.
Legal deposit library representatives:
- Catriona Cannon, Bodleian Libraries
- Lucie Burgess, British Library
- Patricia Killiard, Cambridge University Library
- John Scally, National Library of Scotland
- Avril Jones, National Library of Wales
- Margaret Flood, Library of Trinity College Dublin.
- Chris Fell, Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers
- Carol Tullo, Controller, HMSO and Queen's Printer
- Anne Joseph, International Association of Scientific, Technical and Medical Publishers.
- Sarah Davis, Newspaper Publishers Association
- Catherine Courtney, Newspaper Society
- Andrew Yeates, Professional Publishers Association
- Trevor Fenwick, P P A Business Media Group (Data and Digital Publishing)
- Hugh Jones, Publishers Association
- A representative of the Association of Online Publishers (name to be advised).