- Closure on 25 October: The George IV Bridge Building will be closed on Saturday 25 October due to a private event. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Our Visitor Centre offers a range of facilities and services for those who enter the George IV Bridge Building when they are in Edinburgh.
In this ground-floor area you can:
- Learn about our treasures and services in the exhibition space
- Browse and buy books and quality unique gifts and stationery
- Enjoy refreshments and snacks in our café
- Browse our online collections
- Register for entry to our reading rooms and access to a wider range of digital material.
The main public area
In the main public area we have:
- Computers that anyone can use to find online reference material and see material digitised from NLS collections.
- An information point, where you can find out more about the Library.
- The bookshop, selling Scottish publications, stationery and gifts.
- The café seating area
- WiFi access.
Books and other items for sale are on display on shelves in the main public area.
Shop opening hours are:
Across the main corridor is the café servery which offers:
- Superior quality Fairtrade coffee and fine teas
- Fresh sandwiches, snacks and homemade cakes
- Drinks and snacks to take away.
Café opening hours are:
We also have café seating outside the building.
The discovery area presents a snapshot of what we have to offer in our collections and services.
Here we showcase a selection of the 15 million or so items we hold. A rolling programme of exhibits will range from some of our treasures to displays on particular themes.
In the room next door is the permanent John Murray Archive exhibition.
Whether you are an experienced researcher or venturing into a major research library for the first time, we have a range of services to suit your needs. Discover what we can do for you, then move into the public area to access collections online or register for a library card.
Opening hours for NLS exhibitions are:
Here visitors can:
- Register for access to the reading rooms and our licensed digital collections
- Renew a library card
- Collect and pay for photocopies of material from the collections.
Please remember to bring evidence of identity and address when you come to get your library card.
We have two wheelchair-friendly computer workstations where people can fill in the registration form online. Read more about George IV Bridge access and facilities for people with disabilities.
If you have questions about our Visitor Centre, or about collections and services in general, email us at email@example.com.