The music collection of the Edinburgh Society of Musicians was purchased by the Library in 1982. It consists of c. 1,100 printed items, comprising 162 volumes of glees and other part songs, 489 volumes of chamber music, 210 vocal scores, 250 other scores, and works of musical criticism, periodicals and concert programmes. The Society, founded in 1887, had acquired material from the collections of earlier 18th- and 19th-century Edinburgh music societies, including the Edinburgh Harmonists? Society which was formed in 1826, the Edinburgh Catch Club (18th century) and the St George Quartette Club. The Library has also acquired the surviving archive of the Society dating from its foundation to 1982, though there is also some material from earlier Edinburgh musical groups. It includes minute books, membership lists, papers and correspondence, reports, menu cards, photographs, press-cuttings and other memorabilia. As such this collection of both printed and manuscript material offers an unusual insight into Edinburgh?s musical life during the 18th and the 19th century.
The manuscripts are described and indexed in Vol. XV (unpublished) of the Library?s Catalogue of Manuscripts.
A collection of 51 items, in a wide variety of formats, focussed mainly on the Glenquoich and Glengarry estates while in the ownership of successive generations of the Ellice family. The activities of the original purchaser, Edward Ellice senior (1781-1863), best known as a deputy governor of the Hudson's Bay Company in Canada and as a prominent member of the Westminster parliament are represented by, for example, a list of Hudson's Bay adventurers, proposals for the reform of Scottish representation in Parliament and obituaries to him including a funeral sermon. Of more local significance is an 1863 publication outlining the rules for the estate tenants published very shortly after his death. The major part of the collection consists of material written or acquired by Edward C Ellice (1858-1934), inheritor of the estate in 1880, which includes his own brief history of Invergarry Castle and a variety of estate related material such as local slaughter-house regulations, weather statistics and local afforestation maps. However the principal topic represented is a set of legal proceedings involving the family at various times and their titles to different lands and in particular recording attempts by Edward C Ellice to finance the estate and eventually to sell it and confer trust status upon it. Also in the collection is a miscellany of related matter including a Barclay family tree containing the Ellice family, pencil sketch prints of local Glengarry clansmen, financial accounts of the local Highland Railway, and plans of indeterminate date for a fishing station in Wester Ross. Of wider interest are presscuttings from 1811 regarding the use of Bath tokens as local currency and an extract from the 'London Gazette' in 1848 on the current cholera epidemic.
Related manuscript material is held in the Manuscript Collections.
This deposited collection from the library of the Episcopal Church of Scotland Theological Collection, Edinburgh consists of nearly 2,800 pamphlets and tracts collected in 190 volumes. There are also some periodicals, offprints, typescript and manuscript material and two Bibles printed on the continent in the early 17th century. The collections are named after Adam Urquhart and Patrick Torry. Urquhart, (1793-1860), son of William Urquhart the second laird of Craigston in Aberdeenshire, was an Advocate and Sheriff of Wigtownshire. He edited a small number of works on 17th century Scottish history. Bishop Patrick Torry (1763-1852) who was brought up in the Church of Scotland, was appointed Bishop of Dunkeld and Dunblane in 1808 and of St. Andrews in 1838. He was a close friend of Lord Forbes, who owned many of the volumes in the Urquhart Collection. Both collections are a rich source of material on 19th century religious controversies in Scotland such as the Oxford Movement, the Disruption of 1843 and the publication of Scottish Prayer Book of 1849. This was a period of considerable growth for the Scottish Episcopal Church following enforcement of the penal statutes during the previous century. There is also discussion of wider issues such as cremation, slavery, construction of new churches and the role of the laity. The Torry collection which consists of 14 volumes compiled by Bishop Torry and his son, John Torry, Dean of St. Andrews, is particularly strong in Scottish provincial imprints and also includes material printed in South Africa and the United States. Although the bulk of the collection dates from the mid-19th century onwards, there is also a wide range of pamphlet material published between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries.
The collection is unshelfmarked and a list of the volumes (though not of all the items in the volumes) is available on request.
Shelf: [to be assigned]
A collection of children?s books formed by Eudo C. Mason, Professor of German in the University of Edinburgh, and presented in 1969 by his executors. It consists of over 3,600 items in English, French and German, including 21 manuscripts, and dates mostly from the 19th century. The collection reflects the education and amusement of children down the years, and includes chapbooks, many published in Glasgow and Paisley, folding-sheet games, card games, jig-saw puzzles, a toy theatre with sheets of plain and coloured characters, a folding peep show, and two horn books. There are also many ?penny dreadfuls?, and an almost complete collection of ?Books for the Bairns?.
Typescript inventory of the manuscripts.