Special and Named Printed Collections in the National Library of Scotland
Purchased in 1978, the collection comprises 65 volumes of books, pamphlets and maps from the library of Douglas Haig, first Earl Haig (1861-1928), field-marshal and commander-in-chief of the British army. It contains works on military strategy, memoirs, accounts of 19th-century military campaigns in Europe and North America, and narratives of the First World War, many of them annotated by Haig. The Earl’s papers, including his diary, which had been on deposit since 1961, were purchased in 1982.
Typescript inventory of the manuscripts.
HAIG FERGUSON COLLECTION
A miscellaneous collection of 55 works in 131 volumes, collected by James M. Heron Watson, and bought from his nephew J. W. Haig Ferguson in 1960. It consists of British and foreign books, published from the 16th to the 19th century, and includes some historical works such as Jean Franýois de La Harpeýs Abrýgý de lýHistoire Gýnýrale des Voyages, 32 vols. + atlas, Paris, 1780-1802.
HAMILTON BRUCE COLLECTION
Consisting of 103 volumes, specially bound for the owner, this collection mainly comprises English literature of the 17th to the 19th century and was formerly part of the library of R.T. Hamilton Bruce, a successful Scottish baker and one of the patrons of the Scottish Observer (afterwards the National Observer). It was bequeathed by Miss Catherine Anne Hamilton Bruce and received by the Library in 1979.
Collected by John Haxton of Markinch, Fife, and presented by him to the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. The collection was deposited by the Society in 1934, and transferred to the National Library’s ownership in 1949. There are 191 works in 127 volumes, consisting of editions of the Bible and parts of the Scriptures in English, nearly all of the 16th and the 17th century.
The collection is listed in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 34 (1900), 18-41.
HENDERSON MEMORIAL LIBRARY COLLECTION
A collection of over 800 books, pamphlets and periodical issues, which deal mainly with North America and reflect the personal interest of Tom Henderson - broadcaster, writer and General Secretary of the Educational Institute of Scotland - in American history and in the American Civil War in particular. After his death in 1941, his collection of American books was presented to the Educational Institute by his widow. In 1976 the National Library acquired by donation the libraries of the Educational Institute for Scotland, including the Henderson Memorial Library of Books on America. The books are mostly first editions which date almost exclusively from the late 19th and the early 20th century.
Catalogue of the Henderson Memorial Library of Books on America, Edinburgh: Educational Institute of Edinburgh, 1947. K. Halliwell, ‘The Henderson Memorial Library at the National Library of Scotland’, American Studies Library Newsletter, 41 (1996), 3-4.
HENDERSON SMITH COLLECTION
A large collection of bookplates, Scottish, English and colonial, mounted in 40 volumes, with another 40 volumes of books about heraldic bookplates, bequeathed by Dr John Henderson Smith of Harpenden (1875-1952), and received in 1953. Henderson Smith was a member of the Ex Libris Society which lasted from 1891-1908, and served as the Secretary of the Bookplate Exchange Club for forty-seven years (1901-48). Other smaller collections of bookplates which have been acquired include the Culley (one vol.), the Stitt (three vols.), and the Lamb (23 vols.) collections, the latter including many foreign bookplates and labels of Scottish circulating libraries.
The Henderson Smith collection has a slip catalogue of the bookplates arranged alphabetically under the names of owners, with brief descriptions of the bookplates.
HEW MORRISON COLLECTION
A selection of 319 volumes and 30 pamphlets purchased from the library of the Gaelic scholar Hew Morrison LLD (1850-1935), Edinburgh’s first City Librarian. It is a general collection of works in Scottish Gaelic, strong in literary and religious works, chiefly of the 18th and the 19th century. A notable item is A Galick [sic] and English Vocabulary (1741) by the Jacobite poet Alexander Macdonald, the first secular book to be printed in the Scottish Gaelic language.
Presented to the Advocates’ Library in 1889 by G. Hilson of Jedburgh, this collection consists of 79 volumes of general literature, theology and practical subjects. The imprints are mainly English and date from the 17th to the 19th century.
HOPKINSON BERLIOZ COLLECTION
This collection of Berlioz’s musical and literary works was formed by the music bibliographer Cecil Hopkinson (1898-1977), whose A Bibliography of the Musical and Literary Works of Hector Berlioz, 1803-1869 with Histories of the French Music Publishers Concerned was published in 1951 by the Edinburgh Bibliographical Society (2nd ed., with additions and corrections, Tunbridge Wells, 1980). He presented his collection to the National Library in 1952, but continued to add items to it after this date. It includes editions of Berlioz’s music, proof copies, and presentation copies with inscriptions by Berlioz. The literary part of the collection consists of editions and translations of Berlioz’s memoirs, letters and critical works, including copies of his own libretti for Béatrice and Bénédict and Les Troyens, and works of music criticism on the composer. There are also autograph letters, several minor manuscripts, and associated material, including portraits, photographs, playbills and posters. Additions continue to be made to the collection, which now numbers over 700 volumes.
The Cecil Hopkinson Collection of Hector Berlioz: a Special Exhibition 4th July-8th September 1956, Edinburgh: National Library of Scotland, 1956.
HOPKINSON VERDI COLLECTION
A collection of vocal scores and libretti of Verdi’s operas, consisting of 336 items, was purchased in 1970 from Cecil Hopkinson, and contains many rare editions. Hopkinson’s Bibliography of the Works of Giuseppe Verdi, 1813-1901, 2 vols. (1973, 1978) was based on the collection. Additions continue to be made to the collection, the acquisition of which has encouraged the Library in the collecting of Italian operas.
HUGH SHARP COLLECTION
This collection is a memorial to the bibliophile Hugh Sharp (1897-1937), a wealthy jute manufacturer in Dundee, who died in a railway accident. His private library, collected in the last eight years of his life, was presented in 1938 by his mother and sister. It comprises over 1,200 volumes, mostly first editions of the classics of English and American literature, and is notable for the very fine condition of the works acquired, many in original state. One of the earliest books in the collection is the first complete edition of the works of Chaucer (1532), from the library of Lord Hastings, and one of the latest, the first edition of Gone with the Wind (1936). There is a copy of the first edition of Milton’s Paradise Lost (1667) with the first state of the title-page; the copy of Milton’s Poems (1645) which belonged to Lewis Stucley, chaplain to Cromwell; and the Huth-Rosebery copy of the first issue of the Authorized Version of the Bible (1611). English novels and plays of the 18th century are strongly represented, as are the major works of 19th-century English literature. Notable items include a copy of the suppressed first edition of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (1865), withdrawn by Lewis Carroll because of the poor printing of Tenniel’s illustrations, and the first edition of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice (1813) in original boards. Among a number of works with literary and historical associations is the copy of The Lay of the Last Minstrel (1805), Scott’s first original work, presented by the author to Dorothy Wordsworth, and later gifted by William Wordsworth to his niece Dora. Besides the first published edition of Edward Lear’s A Book of Nonsense (1846), the collection also has a privately printed edition which may precede it. The works of the major American writers of the 19th century are present, as well as earlier works of travel and exploration in America. Amongst the Americana is George Washington’s Official Letters to the Honorable American Congress, 2 vol. (London, 1795), with the author’s signature on both title-pages, and three pages of manuscript notes by the editor John Carey explaining his editorial methods.
‘Memorial gift to National Library’, The Scotsman, 11 February 1938. Short-Title Catalogue of the Hugh Sharp Collection, Edinburgh, 1954. H.S.1243-4 is a catalogue of the collection compiled by Hugh Sharp himself, and containing notes about many of the works. Inscriptions, letters and papers inserted in the printed books are described and indexed in Vol. II of the Library’s Catalogue of Manuscripts. H.F.B. Sharp, Books of American and Canadian Interest, 1613-1932, Privately Printed, [1932?].
A collection of material by, and relating to, Ben Humble MBE (1904-77), consisting mainly of his collection of newspaper and magazine articles on mountaineering and mountaineering accidents. In the course of his lifetime Humble wrote many articles on outdoor pursuits in Scotland; he also played a leading role in improving rescue facilities for climbers in Scotland and in establishing the Scottish Youth Hostels Association. The collection was presented in 1994 by his nephew and biographer, Roy M. Humble, of Edmonton, Canada.
R.M. Humble, The Voice of the Hills: the Story of Ben Humble, MBE, Edinburgh, 1995.
A collection of books and pamphlets on South America, presented by John Hume of Edinburgh in 1924, and comprising 114 volumes printed between 1863 and 1920. The subjects covered include history, language, folklore, costume, and the anthropology of Chile and Patagonia.