Bequeathed by the Gaelic scholar John Francis Campbell of Islay (1822-85), and received by the Faculty of Advocates on his death, this collection comprises 610 printed items in 270 volumes, his correspondence, journals and papers bound up into 134 volumes, and a collection of maps. The printed material in the collection - books, pamphlets, periodicals, offprints - is of the late 18th and the early 19th century, and is largely concerned with Highland folklore, Ossianic literature, and related Celtic subjects. Many of the volumes are annotated in Campbell?s own hand with his pithy and pertinent comments, and some are further illustrated with his own photographs. Although best known for collecting the Gaelic folklore of the West Highlands, published as Popular Tales of the West Highlands, 4 vols. (1860-62), Campbell was a man of wide interests. He travelled in Scandinavia, and the manuscript collection contains his lively journals and sketch-books, which record the landscapes and customs of the countries he visited.
The manuscripts are briefly described in the Library?s Summary Catalogue of the Advocates? Manuscripts, Edinburgh, 1971, and in detail in the unpublished catalogues of the Advocates? manuscripts being prepared by the Library, and of Scottish Gaelic manuscripts being prepared by R.A. Black. The maps are included in the Map Library catalogue. Lamplighter and Story-teller: John Francis Campbell of Islay, 1821-1885 [exhibition catalogue], Edinburgh, 1985.
Donated by Miss Judith G. Scott, OBE FSA FSA (SCOT), in 1984, this is a collection of 35 18th- and 19th-century children?s books and chapbooks, many of which are richly illustrated. One notable item is a copy of Instructions for Children, Teaching an Easy Way to Spell and Read True English ([London], 1763), by the Baptist, Benjamin Keach.
Deposited in 1966 on behalf of the late John McDiarmid Airlie (d. 1965), Edinburgh councillor and Justice of the Peace, this collection consists of 409 printed items relating to trade unions and labour history in Scotland and his own political career (he was Labour Party candidate in Ayr in the 1920s).
This is a selection of 77 items from the collection of books on the Indian Mutiny and the Afghan Wars formed by the late J.R. "Hamish" Seaton OBE (1918-2012). Hamish Seaton worked in the National Library of Scotland from 1947 to 1983, becoming principal keeper of printed books. He built up a large private collection of books relating to the Indian mutiny of 1857 and also Britain's military involvement in Afghanistan in the 19th-century. The books were bequeathed to NLS and a selection of books, ranging from 19th-century items to modern histories, as well as 8 maps, was made in 2013. The collection includes a number of privately-printed accounts of life in the Raj as well as some Indian imprints.
This is a collection of books by the Scottish science fiction author 'J.T. McIntosh', James Murdoch MacGregor (1925-2008). It consists of English and foreign language editions of his works, anthologies and SF periodicals and was purchased by the Library along with his literary papers and correspondence in 2010. Born in Paisley, MacGregor spent most of his life in Aberdeen. However, he was, and continues to be, better known abroad, especially in the USA, than in his native Scotland. He wrote under a series of names such as: James Vine Kerr, Gregory Francis, H. J. Murdoch and Hamish Murray, but he is best known under the pseudonym of 'J. T. McIntosh', a nom de plume increasingly used from September 1951 onwards. He worked as a journalist for the Aberdeen Bon Accord Magazine and latterly worked as a sub-editor with the Press & Journal newspaper. From 1952 onwards he started writing, full-time, science fiction stories which were published in magazines, both in Britain and in the USA, and supplemented this story writing by continuing to do some freelance journalism and photography. Over a hundred short stories and novelettes were published in America alone, and some were translated into French, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish, Polish and Japanese. He also published a number of book-length novels, which also appeared in foreign language editions. MacGregor used the 'McIntosh' pseudonym for most of his science-fiction work, which formed the bulk of his output. His first story, 'The Curfew Tolls', appeared in Astounding Science Fiction in 1950, and his first novel, 'World Out of Mind', was published in 1953. MacGregor also published books under his own name. These included novels and detective fiction, as well as non-fiction books. He also wrote film, radio and television scripts.
[Not kept together as a special collection, the books have added to the Library's general collections] Manuscripts are listed under Acc.13126
A collection of c. 600 books and serials on the civilisation and culture of the Faroe Islands, donated to the Library by M.E. Jackson in 2005. The collection is from the library of Anthony Jackson, former professor of social anthropology at Edinburgh University. Prof. Jackson's papers on Faroese migration are held in the Library's manuscript collections (Acc.10942).
A collection of 512 volumes of books and periodicals bequeathed in 1984 by the Rev. Dr James Brown of Colmonell, and later of Stranraer. It comprises mainly French illustrated books of the Romantic period, and English and French literature in 19th-century editions. There are also two printing blocks (Doré and Pauquet).
Presented in 1981 by the children of the Right Hon. James Ramsay MacDonald (1866-1937) and Margaret Ethel MacDonald, the collection contains over 600 books, including pamphlets and albums of press-cuttings and letters, and is the residue of the library of the first Labour Prime Minister. It includes works on socialism and politics, and books on Scottish history and literature, as well as early school and student books relating to his studies at Lossiemouth and London. Most of the books bear MacDonald?s signature, and a few are annotated.
The main focus of the collection is on the history, operation and organisation of the Red Army and, to a lesser degree, on the Soviet armed forces in general. There is coverage, too, of such associated topics as the politics and government of the Soviet Union, the Second World War, the Cold War and international relations. Military technology (including such subjects as ballistics, missiles and radar) is another field covered. There is also some material on the armed forces of other communist states. Russian and English are the languages of the greater part of the materials in the collection but there are items in several other European languages as well. The collection came to the Library in two parts. The first was the library from Professor Erickson?s former Department of Defense Studies at Edinburgh University. The greater part of this collection of more than 3,000 volumes (chiefly monographs) has now been catalogued and may be accessed via the Library?s online catalogue. The second part comprises materials from Professor Erickson?s personal collection which came to the Library following his untimely death. This collection of some 4,000 items contains monographs, serials, research reports, microforms, tapes and some manuscript materials. It is, as yet, uncatalogued and unsorted though it is hoped to make a start on it in the near future.
Cataloguing in progress.
The Library?s holdings of atlases and maps were considerably enhanced in 1995 by the gift of 36 atlases and maps in 53 volumes collected by John Bartholomew (1890-1962), of the Edinburgh-based cartographic publishing house of the same name, who was a former Trustee of the Library. The collection was presented in his memory by the Bartholomew family, having been on deposit in the Library from 1985. The atlases and maps range in date from 1525 to 1865, and consist of fine examples of Italian, Bavarian, Dutch, French and English cartography. Italian-published works include a good copy of Livio Sanuto?s superbly engraved Geografia...di...Africa (1588), Vincenzo Maria Coronelli?s Isolario dell?Atlante Veneto (1696-97), and Sir Robert Dudley?s Dell?Arcano del mare (the first sea atlas by an Englishman), both 1646 and 1662 editions. The Dutch school of cartography is well represented by a copy in rich contemporary colour of Joan Blaeu?s Novum ac Magnum Theatrum Urbium Belgicae Foederatae (1649), the six-volume Dutch text edition of Willem & Joan Blaeu?s Toonneel des Aerdriicx, ofte Nieuwe Atlas of 1648-55, Gerhard Mercator?s Atlas Minor of 1628, the 1609 edition of Abraham Ortelius?s Theatrum Orbis Terrarum and an outstanding copy in contemporary colour of Johannes van Keulen?s two-volumed De Groote Nieuwe Vermeerderde Zee-Atlas ofte Water-Werelt (1681-84). French cartography includes Le Neptune François produced by the Département de la Marine in 1773, and Guillaume Dheulland?s Théatre de la Guerre en Italie of 1748.
A shelf catalogue is available; draft records are also in the Map Library Catalogue.
A collection of over 200 volumes donated to the Library in 1996 by the late Mrs Marjorie Alderman, of Toronto, in accordance with the wishes of her first husband, John Sanderson, of Ontario, who died in 1986. Comprising both printed and related manuscript material, this is one of the most complete collections known of the works of the Austrian-born writer Norman Douglas (1868-1952), who had noble Scottish ancestry.
A typescript inventory of the manuscripts is in preparation.
In 1958 the Theological College of the Episcopal Church in Scotland deposited on long-term loan a large part of the library of Alexander Jolly (1756-1838), Episcopal Bishop of Moray. This deposit was converted into a gift in 1970, and the remaining books from Jolly?s library were added to it. There are 2,976 volumes mostly on theological subjects, spiritual and devotional literature (especially Anglican), dating from the 16th to the 19th century, but also including two incunables printed at Strassburg. A number of volumes have annotations in Jolly?s hand.
A collection of 70 books on the Punjab and Sikh history presented to the Library by the scholar and Sikh historian Dr Joyce Pettigrew in 2011. Consisting mainly of 20th-century publications in English concerning Sikh history and politics, the collection contains some works in Punjabi, including personal gifts.
Not kept together as a collection but added to the Library's general collections.