A collection of over 400 volumes covering witchcraft, demonology and erotica, formed by the Scottish archaeologist Alexander Keiller (1889-1955), and presented by his widow, Gabrielle, in 1966. The books are British, continental and American publications, ranging from the 15th to the 20th century, though the emphasis is on works published during the 16th and the 17th century, when the persecution of people suspected of witchcraft was at its height. The earliest work in the collection is Ulrich Molitorıs De Lamiis et Phitonicis Mulieribus (Reutlingen, 1489), which has a woodcut illustration of witches in flight. Other first editions include Jean Bodin De la Demonomanie des Sorciers (Paris, 1581), Joseph Glanvill Saducismus Triumphatus (London, 1681), and one of the two 1603 editions of James VI and Iıs Dımonologie.
Demonology and Witchcraft Exhibition at the National Library of Scotlandı, Edinburgh Tatler, 9, no. 71 (March 1967).
A collection of broadsheets, pamphlets, hardbacks in various formats, illustrated material in large format and newspaper extracts primarily covering the following topics: early Labour Party politics, Soviet politics in the Stalinist era, pacifism, working-class socio-economic conditions, religion and society, expressions of folk art, and 17th century religious and political material. The individuals Keir Hardie, Emrys Hughes, Stalin, and Leo Tolstoy are given particular coverage. Notable events include the emergence of the Independent Labour Party around the start of the 20th century and the Stalinist show trials of the 1930s.
The collection is fully catalogued. Also available is the collection inventory
A collection of books printed by the Kelmscott Press, acquired by the Library through legal deposit, donation and purchase. The collection brings together Kelmscott books previously held in the Library's general collections (Kelmscott items in other special collections have been kept in their existing collections). The Library has almost a complete set of all the 53 published works undertaken by the Press between 1891 and 1898, including all bar one of those intended for public sale. The Kelmscott Press, based in Hammersmith, London, was set up by William Morris (1834-96) in order "to produce books which it would be a pleasure to look upon as pieces of printing and arrangement of type". The collection includes three vellum sheets from the Kelmscott Press edition of the works of Chaucer, published in 1896 and generally regarded as one of the most beautiful books printed in the English language, which were donated to the National Library in 1926 by Morris's daughter May.