For letters printed, in whole or in part, in the twelve-volume collected edition of Scott's letters edited by Sir Herbert Grierson and others between 1932 and 1937, a volume and page reference is provided in the Print Location field, preceded by the abbreviation SL. The abbreviation JCC is used for references to the Index to the twelve-volume Letters published by J C Corson in 1979. The references to the print locations of published letters not included in the Grierson edition have, as far as possible, been given short titles or other abbreviations designed to be self-evident, but the following list of all printed sources cited in the Print Location field can be consulted in case of doubt. The list is divided into three parts: (a) full citations for the Grierson edition of Scott letters and the Corson index; (b) a list of other books containing letters to or from Scott; (c) a list of newspapers and periodicals containing such letters.
A: Major sources
- The Letters of Sir Walter Scott. 12 vols. Ed. H. J. C. Grierson
et al. London: Constable, 1932-37.
- Corson, James C. Notes and Index to Sir Herbert Grierson's Edition
of the Letters of Sir Walter Scott. Oxford: Clarendon, 1979.
B: Other books
- Allibone, Samuel Austin. A Critical Dictionary of English Literature. 3 vols. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Company, 1859-71.
- Amari, Michele. History of the War of the Sicilian Vespers. Ed. Earl of Ellesmere. 3 vols. London: Richard Bentley, 1850.
- Armitage, Doris Mary. The Taylors of Ongar: Portrait of an English Family
of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries. Cambridge: W. Heffer,
- Arnold, Willliam Harris. Ventures in Book Collecting. New York: Charles Scribner=s Sons, 1923.
- Ballantyne, John A. Refutations of the Mistatements and Calumnies
Contained in Mr Lockhart's Life of Sir Walter Scott Bart. Respecting
the Messrs Ballantyne. London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and
- Ballantyne, John A. Reply to Mr Lockhart's Pamphlet, Entitled,
"The Ballantyne-Humbug Handled". London: Longman, Orme, Brown,
Green, and Longmans, 1839.
- Baillie, Joanna. The Collected Letters of Joanna Baillie.
Ed. Judith Bailey Slagle. 2 vols. Madison, N.J.: Fairleigh Dickinson
University Press, 1999.
- Batho, Edith C. The Ettrick Shepherd. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press, 1927.
- Beavan, Arthur H. James and Horace Smith, Joint Authors of "Rejected Addresses": A Family Narrative. London: Hurst and Blackett, 1899.
- Beattie, William. Life and Letters of Thomas Campbell. 3
vols. London: Edward Moxon, 1849.
- Burgon, John Williams. The Portrait of a Christian Gentleman: A Memoir of Fraser Tytler. Second edition. London: John Murray, 1859.
- Carswell, Donald. Sir Walter Scott: A Four-Part Study in Biography. London: John Murray, 1930.
- Clayden, Peter W. Rogers and His Contemporaries. 2 vols.
London: Smith, Elder, 1889.
- Constable, Thomas. Archibald Constable and his Literary Correspondents:
A Memorial. 3 vols. Edinburgh: Edmonston and Douglas, 1873.
- Cooper, James Fenimore. Correspondence of James Fenimore Cooper.
Ed. J. F. Cooper. 2 vols. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1922
- Cooper, James Fenimore. The Letters and Journals of James Fenimore
Cooper. Ed. James Franklin Beard. 6 vols. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap
Press of Harvard University Press, 1960-68.
- Crabbe, George. Selected Journals and Letters of George Crabbe.
Ed. Thomas C. Faulkner. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1985.
- Croker, John Wilson. The Croker papers : The Correspondence and
Diaries of the Late Right Honourable John Wilson Croker Ed. Louis
J. Jennings. 3 vols. London: John Murray, 1885.
- Dalrymple, Hew. The Hamiltons of Bargany. Edinburgh: David
- Edgeworth, Richard Lovell. Memoirs of Richard Lovell Edgeworth;
Begun by Himself and Concluded by his Daughter Maria Edgeworth.
Intro. Desmond Clarke. 2 vols. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969.
- Elmendorf, H. L., comp. Descriptive Catalogue of the Gluck Collection
of Manuscripts and Autographs in the Buffalo Public Library. Buffalo:
Matthews-Waring Co, 1899.
- Fairburn, William, The Scottish Tourist, 9th edn, ed. William Rhind. Edinburgh: William Lizars, 1845.
- Ferrier, Susan. Memoir and correspondence of Susan Ferrier 1782-1854;
Based on her Private Correspondence. Ed. John A. Doyle. London:
John Murray, 1898.
- Festing, Gabrielle. John Hookham Frere and His Friends.
London: James Nisbet, 1899.
- Fields, J. T., Mrs. A Shelf of Old Books. London: Osgood, McIlvaine & Co, 1894.
- Gibson, John. Reminiscences of Sir Walter Scott. Edinburgh:
Adam and Charles Black, 1871.
- Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von. Briefe. Ed. Karl Robert Mandlekow.
4 vols. Hamburg: C. Wegner, 1962?67.
- Goddard, Roy Hamilton. The Life and Times of James Milson. Melbourne: Georgian House, 1955.
- Grant, George. The Life of Sir Walter Scott, Bart. Dublin:
J. M'Glashan, 1849
- Hall, Robert. History of Galashiels. Galashiels: Alexander Walker, 1898.
- Hare, Augustus J. C. The Life and Letters of Maria Edgeworth.
2 vols. London: Edward Arnold, 1894.
- Henderson, Emily. Recollections of the Public Career and Private Life of the Late John Adolphus. London: T. Cautley Newby, 1871.
- Hogg, James. The Collected Letters of James Hogg. Volume I, 1800-1819. Ed. Gillian Hughes. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2004.
- Hogg, James. Memorials of James Hogg the Ettrick Shepherd.
Ed. M. G. Garden. Paisley: Alexander Gardner, 1903.
- Hood, Thomas. The Letters of Thomas Hood. Ed. Peter F. Morgan.
Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1973.
- Hughes, Mary Ann. Letters and Recollections of Sir Walter Scott.
Ed. Horace G. Hutchinson. London: Smith Elder, 1904.
- Irving, Washington. Letters. Ed. Ralph M. Aderman et al.
4 vols. Boston: Twayne, 1978-82.
- Knight, William Angus. ed. Memorials of Coleorton. 2 vols.
Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1887.
- Lockhart, Charles Stewart Montgomerie. The Centenary Memorial
of Sir Walter Scott, Bart. London: Virtue & Co, 1871.
- Lockhart, John Gibson. The Ballantyne-Humbug Handled, in a Letter
to Sir Adam Ferguson. Edinburgh: Robert Cadell, 1839.
- Lockhart, John Gibson. Memoirs of the Life of Sir Walter Scott,
Bart. 7 vols. Edinburgh: Robert Cadell, 1837-38.
- Lindsay, Alexander William Crawford. Lives of the Lindsays, or
A memoir of the House of Crawford and Balcarres. 4 vols. Wigan:
Privately printed, 1840.
- Mackay, Mackintosh. Reminiscences. Edinburgh: n.d.
- Mackenzie, Henry. Literature and Literati: The Literary Correspondence
and Notebooks of Henry Mackenzie. Ed. Horst W. Drescher. Frankfurt:
Peter Lang, 1989.
- Mackenzie, R. Shelton. Sir Walter Scott: The Story of his Life. Boston: James R. Osgood & Company, 1871.
- Moore, Thomas. The Letters of Thomas Moore. Ed. Wilfred
S. Dowden. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1964.
- Morison, D. Catalogue of the Gray Library, Kinfauns Castle. Perth: Kinfauns Press, 1828.
- Moscheles, Charlotte. Life of Moscheles: With Selections from his Diaries and Correspondence. 2 vols. London: Hurst and Blackett, 1873.
- Partington, Wilfred, ed. The Private Letter-Books of Sir Walter
Scott. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1930.
- Partington, Wilfred, ed. Sir Walter's Post-Bag: More Stories
and Sidelights from his Unpublished Letter-Books. London: John
- Pellew, George. The Life and Correspondence of Henry Addington, First Viscount Sidmouth. 3 vols. London: John Murray, 1847.
- Polwhele, Richard, ed. Letters of Sir Walter Scott, Addressed
to the Rev. R. Polwhele; D. Gilbert, Esq.; Francis Douce, Esq.
London: J. B. Nichols, 1832.
- Ratchford, Fannie E. and William H. McCarthy, Jnr., ed. The Correspondence
of Sir Walter Scott and Charles Robert Maturin. Austin: University
of Texas Press, 1937.
- Ritson, Joseph. The Letters of Joseph Ritson, Esq. Edited Chiefly from Originals in the Possession of his Nephew. ed. Sir Harris Nicolas. 2 vols. London: William Pickering, 1833.
- Robberds, J. W. A Memoir of the Life and Writings of the Late
William Taylor of Norwich. 2 vols. London: John Murray, 1843.
- Rose, George. The Diaries and Correspondence of the Right Hon.
George Rose. Ed. Leveson Vernon Harcourt. London: R. Bentley, 1860.
- Sayers, Frank. Poetical Works of the late F. Sayers. London: W. Simpkin and R. Marshall, 1830.
- Schetky, S. F. L. Ninety Years of Work and Play. Sketches from the Public and Private Career of John Christian Schetky. Edinburgh: William Blackwood and Sons, 1877.
- Scot, Walter, of Satchels. Metrical History of the Honourable Families of the Name of Scot and Elliot. Comp Captain Walter Scott. Edinburgh: Privately printed, 1892.
- Scot, Walter, of Satchels. A True History of Several Honourable Families of the Right Honourable Name of Scot. Ed John G. Winning. Hawick: W. & J. Kennedy, 1894.
- Scottish Annual. Glasgow: John Reid & Co, 1836.
- Scott, Walter. Familiar Letters of Sir Walter Scott. Ed.
David Douglas. 2 vols. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1894.
- Scott, Walter. The Journal of Sir Walter Scott. Ed. W. E.
K. Anderson, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1972.
- Scott, Walter. Waverley Novels. 48 vols. Edinburgh: Robert
- Seward, Anna. The Poetical Works of Anna Seward; with Extracts
from her Literary Correspondence. Ed. Walter Scott. 3 vols. Edinburgh:
John Ballantyne and Co, 1810.
- Seward, Anna. The Swan of Lichfield; Being a Selection from the
Correspondence of Anna Seward. Ed. Hesketh Pearson. London: Hamish
- Sharpe, Charles Kirkpatrick. Letters from and to Charles Kirkpatrick
Sharpe, Esq. Ed. Alexander Allardyce. 2 vols. Edinburgh: Blackwood,
- Sharpe, Charles Kirkpatrick. A Ballad Book. Ed. David Laing.
Edinburgh: Blackwood, 1880.
- Shelley, Mary. The Letters of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley.
Ed. Betty T. Bennett. 3 vols. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press,
- Skene, James. The Skene Papers: Memories of Sir Walter Scott.
Ed. Basil Thomson. London: John Murray, 1909.
- Smiles, Samuel. Memoir and Correspondence of the Late John Murray.
2 vols. London: John Murray, 1891.
- Southey, Charles Cuthbert. The Life and Correspondence of the
Late Robert Southey. 6 vols. London: Longman, 1849-50.
- Southey, Robert. New Letters of Robert Southey. Ed. Kenneth
Curry. New York: Columbia University Press, 1965.
- Steuart, Henry Seton. The Planter's Guide; or A Practical Essay on the Best Method of Giving Immediate Effect to Wood. Third edition. Edinburgh: William Blackwood, 1848.
- Stuart, Louisa. The Letters of Lady Louisa Stuart. Ed. R.
Brimley Johnson. London: John Lane, 1926.
- Sykes, John. Local Records; or Historical Register of Remarkable Events. 2 vols. Newcastle: John Sykes, 1866.
- Tancred, George. The Annals of a Border Club (the Jedforest) and Biographical Notices of the Families Connected Therewith. Jedburgh: T. S. Smail, 1899.
- Udal, John Symonds. Dorsetshire Folk-Lore. Hertford: Stephen
- Van Antwerp, William C. A Collector's Comment on his First Editions
of the Works of Sir Walter Scott. San Francisco: Gelber, Lilienthal,
- Wordsworth, William and Dorothy. The Letters of William and Dorothy
Wordsworth. Ed. Ernest de Selincourt et al. 8 vols. Oxford: Clarendon
C: Periodicals and Newspapers
- Acta Academiae Aboensis
- Archiv f�r das Studium der Neueren Sprachen
- The Athenaeum
- Book of the Old Edinburgh Club
- Border Magazine
- Br�der Grimm Gedenken
- Buchan Observer
- Chambers's Journal
- Chambers's Edinburgh Journal
- Comparative Literature
- Dublin University Magazine
- The Eagle (St John's College, Cambridge)
- English Language Notes
- European Magazine
- The Glasgow Herald
- Huntington Library Quarterly
- John Rylands Library Bulletin
- The Leisure Hour
- Literary Gazette
- Modern Language Review
- Modern Philology
- Notes and Queries
- Research Studies: Washington State University
- Review of English Studies
- Scott Newsletter
- Scottish Literary Journal
- Scottish Studies
- The Scots Magazine
- The Scotsman
- Studies in Scottish Literature
- Tait's Edinburgh Magazine
- The Times Literary Supplement
- Toronto Star
- Weekly Scotsman
- Yale University Library Gazette
- Yearbook of English Studies
Return to main page