- Wheelchair access to the Maps Reading Room (Causewayside Building)
With around two million cartographic items, our map collection is the largest in Scotland and one of the biggest in the world. Our holdings cover all parts of the globe, through some 700 years, from medieval manuscript maps to current digital mapping.
Online you can view over 48,000 high resolution maps of Scotland and beyond.
The National Library of Scotland maps collection includes:
- Over 1.5 million sheet maps
- 15,000 atlases
- 100,000 maps on microfilm
- More than 250,000 digital maps
- Gazetteers, cartographic reference books and periodicals
- Map ephemera.
These pages tell you more about our collections and services, whether you wish to visit the maps reading room or to use us from a distance.