Map enquiries and services
- Wheelchair access to the Maps Reading Room (Causewayside Building)
Our specialist staff are happy to help with any map-related enquiry. You can:
- Visit the Maps Reading Room in person
- Phone 0131 623 4660
- Email email@example.com, or
- Write to write to us at: Map Collections, National Library of Scotland, 159 Causewayside, Edinburgh EH9 1PH.
In this section
If you have a question about the maps in our collection, then please get in touch. We can help with:
- Information about our map collections, online resources and catalogues, and how to use them
- Research that will take no more than one hour of staff time
- Copies of maps from our collection — we can supply digital images, photocopies and colour prints of maps, although restrictions may apply due to copyright or the condition of the original map. See the pages on supplying copies of maps for more information
- Copies of Ordnance Survey in-copyright maps as an Ordnance Survey Licensed Partner
- Guidance on viewing digitised maps via our Map images website, and tips for printing off small extracts for your personal use
- Guidance on permission to reproduce maps in our collection
- Guidance on how to find information about maps, or suggestions of other sources of information that might help your research.
- Referral to another institution if we think it would be helpful
- Group visits and talks by National Library of Scotland staff.
At the National Library we are committed to dealing with customer enquiries promptly:
- We will acknowledge all enquiries when we receive them
- We will deal with face-to-face and simple telephone enquiries promptly
- We will respond to email, letter and telephone enquiries as soon as possible, and normally within 10 working days. Complex enquiries may take a little longer
- We will process requests to place items on reserve within 48 hours
- We will answer Freedom of Information enquiries within 20 working days.