Free consulation at the Maps Reading Room
Using the Maps Reading Room is free of charge, but there are charges for reprographic services and for some special services. Anyone may use the Map Library if they cannot find the information they need near their home or work. See Admission to the Maps Reading Room for details of access arrangements.
All material in the Map Library is for reference only and may not be borrowed. Collections include worldwide topographic and thematic mapping, with particular interest in areas of Scottish association.
Immediate access for browsing
The Maps Reading Room has useful reference collections on the open shelves. These include:
- Atlases worldwide
- Gazetteers and guidebooks worldwide
- Cartographic reference books
- Ordnance Survey 6-inch maps 1st edition
- Folders of photocopies of early Scottish maps
Fast retrieval of map material held in closed stacks
Most map material stored in the Maps Reading Room is fetched within a few minutes:
- 1 million Ordnance Survey maps of British Isles
- 0.5 million foreign maps (published in UK and overseas)
- Early maps and atlases from all over the world