Map copying services
In this section
Ordering copies of maps
We are happy to provide copies of the out-of-copyright maps in the National Library of Scotland's collection. You can order them in person in the Maps Reading Room, or by letter or email.
Where we have digitised a map and made it available online, you can order a copy on our Map images website.
Please note that you have to pay in advance for copies. We can accept payment by credit or debit card, bank transfer, by cheque, or — if you are ordering online — by Paypal.
On this page
- Colour prints:
- Vibrant, realistic prints on 120 gsm matte presentation paper, which closely resemble the original
- Can be enlarged or reduced from the original map size
- The price varies depending on the size of the copy, and we can supply up to double-A0 size copies.
- Black and white photocopies:
- 90 gsm paper
- Can be enlarged or reduced from original map size.
- The price varies depending on the size of the copy, and we can supply up to A0 size copies.
- A JPEG file supplied by electronic download
- A TIFF file supplied on CD / DVD.
See the price list for copies of maps.
Reinforcement of copies and copies on alternative materials
If a paper copy of a map is not strong or durable enough for you, then we can offer various methods of reinforcing copies of maps. We can also arrange to print your copy on special fabrics such as artist's canvas.
For available formats and price list, see our page on reinforced copies and prints on special papers.
Contact us to use this additional service, which is not available to order via our website.
Attestation for legal submission
Map photocopies can be stamped with an official Library stamp and attested (signed) by a senior member of staff, stating that the photocopies are made from maps in this collection.
The fee is £10 plus VAT per signature.
Maps and copyright law
Copyright law is complex, and whether or not a map is in copyright will depend on several different factors. These include:
- Has the map been published?
- What country was it published in?
- Date of publication?
- Is copyright held by an individual or an organisation?
We can advise on the copyright status of maps in our collection, and provide guidance on whether or not we are allowed to copy a map for you.
Filming National Library of Scotland collections
Using National Library collections:
- First hour: £60
- Up to 4 hours: £200
- Up to 8 hours: £400.
National Library as film location (not reliant on use of collections):
- By negotiation.
Copies of Military Survey of Scotland
The manuscript maps of the 18th century Military Survey of Scotland, led by William Roy, are held by the British Library.
We make colour images of these maps available on our website by permission of the British Library. We can supply colour prints up to A0 size of your chosen section of this map. To order colour prints, email email@example.com or contact the Maps Reading Room.
For all requests for digital images or permission to reproduce this map in books, exhibitions or other media, contact the British Library.