Permission to Reproduce Maps
Written permission must be obtained in advance to reproduce any material from the National Library of Scotland's collections. Acknowledgement must be made to the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.
For publications, display, exhibitions, TV, electronic copying, etc., a separate written application must be made in advance to the appropriate department for each work.
Basic permission fee:
- £30.00 per image for UK or single country distribution
- £50.00 per image for distribution to more than one country
- Cover illustrations: double basic fee
- Advertising rates: double basic fee
- Facsimiles, postcards, gift items: fees by negotiation
- Non-profitmaking publications: fees may be waived and free copy (or copies) requested instead
See our general guidance on reproduction permission for more information.
Annual permission fees to reproduce maps for clients
Organisations such as schools, libraries, archives or businesses wishing to make further copies of maps for their clients should apply for permission. An annual fee is payable, covering the year April-March. No records need be kept about how many copies organisations make for their clients:
- Commercial organisations and businesses
Annual fee £85.00 + VAT. Copies may be made only for internal use and for unpublished reports for clients, not for publication.
- Non-commercial organisations
Annual fee £1.10 per copy supplied + VAT. Copies may be made for clients for research or private study, but not for publication or commercial use. The annual fee is based on the total number of photocopies supplied by the National Library of Scotland, up to a maximum fee per year, e.g. a library which purchased eight copies would pay £8.80 + VAT per year; a library which purchased 100 copies would pay £75.00 + VAT per year.
- Education authorities:
1-10 secondary schools: up to a maximum of £100.00
11-20 secondary schools: up to a maximum of £200.00
20+ secondary schools: up to a maximum of £275.00
- School local groups: up to a maximum of £50.00
- Public libraries and archives: up to a maximum of £75.00
- Societies: up to a maximum of £30.00