Our official publications collection contains a wide selection of items, including print, microfiche, and full-text digital collections.
Since 1992, all official publications are entered in the National Library of Scotland's main catalogue.
For material published before 1992, you can check the main catalogue, together with the following sources, which are available for consultation in the Library in Edinburgh:
- Parliamentary papers — sessional indexes and UK Parliamentary papers database
- Her Majesty's Stationery Office (HMSO) printed lists annotated with Library pressmarks.
Please note, not all of our serial titles and holdings information is listed on our main catalogue. If you cannot find what you are looking for, ask a member of staff in the Library, or contact us.
We have a huge range of eResources, many of which you can access online, in the Library in Edinburgh, and our Kelvin Hall premises in Glasgow. Our eResources include:
- Hundreds of thousands of digitised books, periodicals and manuscripts spanning over five centuries
- Millions of records and abstracts via online services and databases
- Thousands of full-text newspapers, journals and reports
- Hundreds of full-text reference works.
The following Official Publications eResources are unrestricted, and you can access them without a Library card:
- British Online Archives — the 1694-1709 full-text papers of the 'Company of Scotland Trading to Africa and the Indies', or the Darien Company
- Cobbett's Parliamentary History — the full-text digital archive of 'Cobbett's parliamentary history of England, from the Norman Conquest, in 1066 to the year, 1803'
- OECD iLibrary — the online library of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), featuring its books, papers, data analysis and statistics
- United Nations Bibliographic Information Service — An online database of United Nations documents and publications from 1979 onwards. Also provides access to voting records and index to speeches.
The following eResources are available to registered Library users living in Scotland:
- UK Parliamentary Papers — a full-text digital archive to the 19th and 20th century House of Commons parliamentary papers, 1801 to 2014, and House of Lords material from 1714 to 1910
- Cold War Intelligence — a full-text collection of 2,360 formerly classified United States government documents, most of them classified Top Secret or higher
- India, Raj and the Empire — a full-text digital archive covering the history of South Asia between the foundation of the East India Company in 1615 and the independence to India and Pakistan in 1947
- Making of Modern Law — over 22,000 full-text legal treatises on United States and British law published from 1800 through 1926.
The following eResources are available to registered Library users on Library premises:
- Official Publications Online — Online access to UK Parliamentary publications, primary and secondary legislation, House and Command papers and gazettes.
You can browse a number of other printed finding aids in the Library's George IV Bridge building in Edinburgh.
For more information, email Reference Services, or contact Fiona Laing, Official Publications Curator.