Rare Books - Important Acquisitions List All
Rare Book Collections works to build up the national collections through
purchases (through dealers or at auction) and donations. This directory gives details of 763 of the most important items we have acquired since 2000. We update it regularly as new material comes in. The description gives information about why it was chosen and what makes it particularly interesting. You can order the list by date of acquisition, author or title.
Please let us know what you think of this resource, if you have information to add about an acquisition, or if you have rare Scottish books that you would like to donate or sell. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Acquisitions 271 to 285 of 763:
Ordered by date acquired |
Order by author
| Order by title
|Title||Catalogue of 1912 model Argyll Cars|
|Date of Publication||1912|
|Notes||From small beginnings in the 1890s, Argyll Motors quickly became Britain's largest car manufacturer. In 1906, the company occupied Europe's largest and most up-to-date motor vehicle factory at Alexandria, on the banks of Loch Lomond. This sales catalogue is from the company's heyday in 1912: it lists monarchs from Sarawak to Sweden among users of Argyll cars, as well as the senior members of the British royal family. A year later in 1913, an Argyll car broke thirteen world records in a single day at the Brooklands track in Surrey. The catalogue contains illustrations of the Alexandria factory and a list of models, from the 12 h.p Doctor's Coupe to the 25 h.p. Landaulette, 'a magnificent example of the coachbuilder's art'. This car also used the patent single sleeve-valve engine developed by Scottish inventor Peter Burt, which would later play an interesting role in the early history of aeroplane design. 'As long as a country produces a Car like the New Argyll - which I consider is the acme of clean and good design - it has nothing to envy or fear from anybody', says the catalogue. However the company faced financial difficulties and went into liquidation in 1914. Although revived in the 1920s, the marque was finished by 1932.|
|Reference Sources||'Imprentit' NLS exhibition labels, 2008; http://www.archiveshub.ac.uk/news/argyllmc.html; http://www.enginehistory.org/|
|Title||[Scottish War Emergency Cup Final programme]|
|Date of Publication||1940|
|Notes||The outbreak of the Second World War led to the suspension of normal competitive football in Scotland. The Scottish War Emergency Cup was a temporary competition held at the start of World War II, due to the suspension of the Scottish Cup by the SFA. It was held between February and May in 1940, the competition involved all sixteen League clubs still operating, Cowdenbeath later withdrew which meant Dunfermline Athletic received a bye in the first round. Rangers beat Dundee United 1 - 0 in the Final, thanks to a goal by James Smith. Although the venue, Hampden Park, Glasgow, in previous years had drawn crowds of over 100,000 for big games, the police limited attendance to 75,000 for this game.
|Title||The Glasgow Chronicle, no. 1706-no. 2377|
|Imprint||Glasgow: D. Prentice & Co.|
|Date of Publication||1822-1826|
|Notes||This volume contains c. 175 issues of "The Glasgow Chronicle" covering the years 1822 to 1826. The newspaper was founded and edited by David Prentice, who bought over the "Glasgow Sentinel" title, with the first issue appearing in 1811. Prentice was a pioneer among provincial newspapermen in introducing editorials. His newspaper was published tri-weekly, priced 7d, and one of the first liberal newspapers in Scotland, calling for the end of the Corn Laws. In this volume there are several articles and letters on the subject of the abolition of slavery. The newspaper continued until 1857.|
|Reference Sources||Bookseller's catalogue|
|Title||The Aberdeen Journal and General Advertiser for the North of Scotland, no. 3182-3337|
|Imprint||Aberdeen: J. Chalmers & Co.|
|Date of Publication||1809-1811|
|Notes||"The Aberdeen Journal and General Advertiser for the North of Scotland" began in 1797 as a continuation of the "Aberdeen Journal". It was published weekly and was priced at 6d for a four-page issue. This volume contains c. 150 issues of the newspaper, covering a critical period in the Napoleonic Wars. The newspaper was published until 1876, when it was continued by the "Aberdeen Weekly Journal and General Advertiser for the North of Scotland".|
|Title||The Glasgow Advertiser v. XV, no. 1151-1255|
|Imprint||Glasgow: J. Mennons|
|Date of Publication||1797|
|Notes||"The Glasgow Advertiser" started life as the "Glasgow Advertiser and Evening Intelligencer" in 1783, becoming the plain "Advertiser" in 1794. The newspaper then became "The Glasgow Herald" in 1805, which in turn was renamed "The Herald" in 1992, making it one of the world's oldest continuously-published English-language newspapers. In 1797 the newspaper was published bi-weekly and was priced at 4d. Each issue consisted of eight pages, two of which were devoted to adverts, the rest was a mixture of domestic, British and European news. The content of these issues are heavily influenced by the ongoing war with France. Early issues of "The Glasgow Advertiser" are very rare, so this volume containing c. 100 issues is a welcome addition to the NLS' holdings of early newspapers.|
|Title||Untersuchung ueber die Natur und die Ursachen des Nationalreichthums[Wealth of Nations]|
|Imprint||Frankfurt and Leipzig: [s.n.]|
|Date of Publication||1796-99|
|Notes||This is one of three German-language editions of Smith's "Wealth of Nations" published in the 1790s, which is a testament to the impact the work had on continental Europe. The translation is by Christian Garve, revised by August Doerrien.|
|Author||Alfred, King of England|
|Title||The will of King Alfred|
|Imprint||Oxford : Clarendon Press|
|Date of Publication||1788|
|Notes||A remboîtage in a Scottish red morocco herringbone binding. The front and back boards have been elaborately tooled in gilt. The spine features 7 compartments with the title in gilt in compartments two to four. The textblock is gilt-edged. The front and back openings feature Dutch floral endpapers.|
|Title||Marino Faliero Doge of Venice|
|Imprint||Vienna and Leipzig: Avalun-Verlag|
|Date of Publication||1922|
|Notes||This is an extremely handsome early 1920s German edition of Lord Byron's historical drama about the medieval doge who carried out an unsuccessful coup d' etat against the Venetian nobility. It is one of an edition of 275 numbered copies, which contains twelve original black and white etchings and a title page vignette by the German artist Sepp Frank (1889-1970). Frank was a leading etcher and lithographer who became famous for his work in producing ex-libris bookplates, many of which are considered masterpieces of art deco design.|
|Title||Every man his own gardener.|
|Imprint||London: Printed for W. Griffin, |
|Date of Publication||1767|
|Notes||This book is a rare copy of the first edition of John Abercrombie's most popular work.
Abercrombie (1726-1806) from Prestonpans, near Edinburgh was the son of a market
gardener, whom he worked for from the age of 14. In 1751 he went to London and
worked at Kew Gardens, Leicester House and a host of other noblemens' gardens.
At an early age, Abercrombie started the habit of noting down various horticultural
observations, which formed the raw material for this book. His name does not appear
on the title page or elsewhere in the publication. Instead he had asked his friend,
Thomas Mawe, gardener to the Duke of Leeds in return for £20 to prefix his name to the
book so that it would sell. It was a huge success and by the seventh edition of 1776,
Abercrombie's name appeared on the title page.Its popularity continued for many years, a thirty-fifth edition appearing in 1857. This copy has the ownership inscription of John Lamiman, 1767 and it is possible that he had the book put into a protective chemise, possibly so he could take it out into the garden with him.
|Reference Sources||Henrey, Blanche. British botanical and horticultural literature before 1800.
(London, 1975); Oxford Dictionary of National Biography online
|Title||Health and Strength|
|Imprint||[London:: Charles Atlas Ltd.]|
|Date of Publication||[c. 1948]|
|Notes||Charles Atlas (originally named Angelo Siciliano) arrived in the USA as an immigrant from Italy in the early 1900s. He became a devoted body-builder in his youth devising a system of exercises, later referred to as dynamic tension, to build the perfect body. He developed his own muscle-building business in the 1920s, which had an extremely effective advertising campaign directed at 7-stone weaklings who had sand kicked in their faces at the beach. By the late 1930s his mail order course "Health and Strength", which covered dynamic tension and a healthy lifestyle, had become a global success. Subscribers signed to up to get a series of booklets which covered 12 lessons and a supplement on 'perpetual daily exercise'. His firm, Charles Atlas Ltd., had offices around the world, including London. This is a very well-preserved example of Atlas's mail order course which was produced, specifically for British users, in the late 1940s. |
|Author||Campbell, Ethel M.|
|Title||[Collection of poetry relating to the 1st and 2nd World Wars]|
|Imprint||[Durban: Ethel M. Campbell]|
|Date of Publication||1914-40|
|Notes||Ethel M. Campbell (1886-1954) was born in Glasgow and partly educated in Scotland. Her parents both had Scottish ancestry and her father, Dr Samuel Campbell, was a leading physician in South Africa. She became a well-known Durban socialite in her youth but when World War One broke out, she devoted herself enthusiastically to the entertainment and well-being of the Australian and New Zealand troops who sailed to the battlefields of Europe and the Middle East via South Africa. She published and distributed these and other patriotic verses to the troops. She earned herself a number of nicknames - 'the Durban signaller', 'the girl with the flags', 'the Diggers' idol' and 'Angel of Durban' - as she routinely signalled troopships into Durban harbour by semaphore and also used to throw oranges and other gifts to the troops on deck. She was awarded an MBE in 1919 and in 1923 she was invited to Australia to officially dedicate a memorial to the Diggers (Australian troops). Ethel Campbell's poems are a fascinating printed record of patriotism in the British Empire, Campbell's devotion to the cause being inspired by the loss of her own fiance in France at the start of the War (she never married). She went on to become a well-known poet and author in her native South Africa; her younger brother Roy was to find wider fame as a poet and writer in 1920s Britain.|
|Reference Sources||Dictionary of South African Biography v. 4|
|Author||Rev. Alexander Andrew|
|Title||Memoir of Dr. John Rankine.
|Imprint||Glasgow: Maurice Ogle & Company.|
|Date of Publication||1866|
|Notes||John Rankine was a Scottish homeopathic doctor and early settler in Australia. Rankine arrived in South Australia on the ship Fairfield on May 4, 1839 after sailing 159 days from Liverpool. Among the ship's 105 passengers were ten members of his family and a substantial number of other families who had followed him. Rankine was responsible for the name of the town Strathalbyn in South Australia and in 1841 Andrew Rankine, son of William Rankine, became the very first child born in that town. By the end of the 1840s the Rankines had acquired large landholdings and built impressive homes on them. Dr John Rankine became a JP in 1849 and later a member of the South Australian Parliament.
The book contains much detail concerning Rankine's life: emigrating to Australia; his time there; return to UK; travels in Europe; travels in Scotland; becoming involved in homeopathy; renting Kinnaird House, Larbert, and many people visiting for cures; practising work; London; settling again in Glasgow; religious involvement with the Free Church; unpublished extracts from a lecture given to the Glasgow Homeopathic Institute in the winter of 1860 ... etc. The only other extant copy of this title is held in the National Library of Medicine in Washington.
|Title||Guide to Edinburgh Air Raid Shelters.
|Imprint||Published by C.J. Cousland & Sons Limited. Creative Modern Printers, 30 Queen Street., Edinburgh. |
|Date of Publication||194-?|
|Notes||The front wrapper features a photograph of people emerging from a shelter on the edge of Princes Street Gardens. Other photographs feature firemen in wartime helmets, and nurses at a first aid post. There are also seven pages of maps depicting the locations of the shelters in central Edinburgh.
The book begins with a foreword by John Falconis, the Chief Air Raid Warden, in which he gives advice on what to do in the event of an air raid. He presents useful information on how to deal with mustard gas liquid on the skin, and the nature of incendiary bombs. He also imparts psychological advice: 'Wars are won by successfully exploiting fear.'; 'Air raids are not planned to cause civilian casualties; they create mental apprehension, suspense and distress; they lower morale; they disorganise national work ...'
The advertisements are excellent, and include: a builder offering to bring peoples air raid precautions to completion; Redpath Brown & Co. Ltd. of Edinburgh, have an illustration of people in one of their shelters; 'Saved again! Duncan's nut milk chocolate ... always keep some handy for real inward protection, proof against hunger and nerves'. Other adverts include children's games from Jenners, gas masks, and air raid protection equipment.
|Imprint||Glasgow: Gowans & Gray ; London: R. Brimley Johnson|
|Date of Publication||1903|
|Notes||This is a short work of fiction in which the character Sherlock Holmes travels to Edinburgh and Portobello to hunt for Mair Macjigger. The front cover features an illustration of a sullen cigarette-smoking youth in a tam o'shanter. The front cover of this book states that this is the third edition completing 20,000 copies. Inside are dates for the first three editions, all dated within 12 days of each other in August 1903. No Sherlock Holmes or Arthur Conan Doyle websites appear to mention this book.|
|Title||Theatre Royal, Adelphi. Unparalleled attraction!|
|Imprint||Glasgow: Robert Donaldson, printer and lithographer|
|Date of Publication||1844|
|Notes||A mid 19th-century theatre poster (50cm x 25cm) for the Theatre Royal, Adelphi in Glasgow. The poster advertises a July 2, 1844 production of 'Aladdin, or The Wonderful Lamp' with the word 'Aladdin' formed from the bodies of 12 Chinese figures in traditional oriental dress. The poster is in excellent condition in spite of its fragility.
Near the bottom of the broadside the proprietor is listed as Mr. David Prince Miller. Miller (1809?-1873) was a travelling entertainer who came to Glasgow with his family in the late 1830s. He was well known in Glasgow for his productions of popular entertainment on Glasgow Green. He was briefly jailed for performing without a licence.
In 1842 Miller built and became manager of the Adelphi Theatre, a wooden building on the Green, opposite the Jail, at the foot of Saltmarket. It was also known as the Theatre Royal Adelphi, or the Sans Pareil Pavilion and was one of two licensed theatres in Glasgow during the first half of the 19th century. The Adelphi was extremely popular. However, the uninsured theatre burned down in 1848 and Miller ran into other business difficulties. He went back on the road as a travelling showman, returning to Glasgow only near the end of his life.