The Bartholomew mapmaking firm moved to Duncan Street from Park Road in Edinburgh in 1911.
Documents in the archive at the National Library of Scotland tell us a great deal about this building.
- The plastering cost £548 13s 5d
- John Gibson and Son built the copperplate safe
- Rebuilding the portico (from Falcon Hall) cost £273 7s 10d
- Total costs by 31 December 1911 were £14,596 2s 2d which would be about £10 million today.
Welcoming entrance hall
The opulent double-height entrance hall had room enough for a striking hanging globe on the ground floor and display space for Bartholomew's maps on the first.
This was a welcoming space — and indeed Bartholomew encouraged visitors by putting on exhibitions there.
Bartholomew's Duncan Street premises come to life in the Bartholomew exhibition, which runs at the National Library of Scotland from 7 December 2012 to 7 May 2013.