Celebrating 50 years of George IV Bridge
On 4 July this year, the National Library of Scotland's building on George IV Bridge in Edinburgh reaches its golden jubilee. As a way of marking the anniversary, every week for 50 weeks we are highlighting on our website an item representing a particular year of collecting.
Online today in George IV Bridge - celebrating 50 years is the first highlight - a rare quarto edition of William Shakespeare's Henry IV, part 2. The Library acquired this in 1956, the year our George IV Bridge Building was officially opened by the Queen.
Architect Reginald Fairlie's National Library building took almost 20 years to complete. Work began in 1938, but was interrupted by the Second World War. Along the front façade are seven sculpted figures, representing 'The Arts of Civilisation', designed by Hew Lorimer.
For more background on the building, see our brief history page.
10 January 2006