2008: 500 years of printing in Scotland
Here is the programme of events around the anniversary of the start of printing in Scotland.
Thursday 3 April
- Heidelberg Roadshow at Glasgow Metropolitan College, 9.45am-5pm. Printing souvenir posters. Main contact: Ken Durie. PR contact email@example.com
- Robert Smail's living history at Innerleithen.
Friday 4 April (in no particular order)
- Unveiling of a commemorative plaque in the Cowgate by Councillor Donald Wilson, 11am. Press Office contact: Gareth Jones
- Heidelberg Roadshow in Edinburgh at the National Galleries, 9.45am-4pm. Printing souvenir posters
- Viewing of the original of John Lydgate's The Complaint of the Black Knight, printed by Chepman and Myllar, 4 April 1508 - National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge Building, 10am-5pm
- Public day of printing in Dundee, 1-8.30 pm
- 'First Edition: 500 Years of Print in Scotland' - Visual
Research Centre, University of Dundee, Dundee Contemporary Arts,
152 Nethergate, Dundee, DD1 4DY. Tel: 01382 909900.
Artist printmakers Scott Hudson and Paul Liam Harrison collaborating with designer Andy Rice to produce screenprints based on the original texts and print devices of Walter Chepman and Androw Myllar. The print process will be a live performance with the audience invited to observe and engage with the production of the poem through its development as an art work that will form the backdrop for a public reading from the original poem (after 7pm). The audience will have the opportunity to take away elements of the printed matter as a keepsake.
www.dca.org.uk and www.vrc.dundee.ac.uk
- Celebratory dinner in Edinburgh
The Centre for the History of the Book at Edinburgh University is hosting a dinner in the Playfair Library Hall in the Old College of the University of Edinburgh. The guest of honour will be Magnus Linklater.
Saturday 5 April
- Heidelberg Roadshow in Edinburgh at the National Galleries, 9am-2pm.
- Opening of exhibition, Ink - Main Gallery, The Dick
Institute, 1 Elmbank Avenue, Kilmarnock, KA1 3BU. Tel: 01563
Highlighting the 500th anniversary of printing, the free exhibition, Ink, makes reference to the way in which we make marks, and the use of repetition and reproduction of those marks by hand or by machine.
- The Local Word and Image: 500 Years of Printing in
Scotland - Provost Skene's House, Aberdeen, AB10 1AS. Tel:
- Book of the Month from the Dunimarle Library - Duff
House, Banff, AB45 3SX. Tel: 01261 818181.
- Printing - North Museum Gallery, The Dick Institute, 1
Elmbank Avenue, Kilmarnock, KA1 3BU. Tel: 01563 554343.
- Scottish imprints from Sir Walter Scott's Library -
Abbotsford House, Melrose, Roxburghshire, TD6 9BQ. Tel: 01896
31 March 2008