This service is for users of our reading rooms. If we do not have an item you wish to use, we will try to obtain a loan or a photocopy for you from another Library within the UK or abroad.
Request forms and other information about the service can be obtained at Enquiry Desks in the George IV Bridge Building, or you can email Reference Services, which operates the document supply service.
Inter-Library Request Service charges are based on rates agreed between various libraries and are therefore liable to change due to factors beyond our control.
Charges (as at August 2017)
Charge per volume:
- Standard service using UK, Irish and overseas libraries — £15.00 (no VAT).
Charge per article:
- Standard service using UK, Irish and overseas libraries — £11.00 + VAT
- Forwarding photocopies to addresses outside
the UK and Ireland:
- EU countries — £5.00 + VAT
- Elsewhere — £7.00 (no VAT).
- Cancellation by requester once a request has
been put into the inter-library loan system — £6.00 + VAT
Note: It is not always possible to cancel a request once it is in the system. If cancellation is successful, the initial fee will be refunded minus this charge. If a request cannot be cancelled, then no refund is possible
- Extensions of loan, per request — £4.85 (no
Note: This is in addition to request charges
- For failed overseas requests (loan or
photocopy) — £6.00 + VAT
Note: It is not always possible to cancel a request once it is in the system. If cancellation is successful, the request charge will be refunded, minus this fee
- Copyright cleared fee for commerical
photocopies — Variable: please ask staff for details
Note: This charge is passed to the Copyright Licensing Agency, not retained by the Library.
How to apply
Application forms and other information about the Inter-Library Request Service are available at enquiry desks in the George IV Bridge Building or or you can email Reference Services.