Consulting the collections
The following reference material is available on open shelves in the Maps Reading Room for immediate access and browsing.
You may remove items from the reading room shelves, but please do not remove anything from drawers — do ask staff for assistance. Please do not return items to the shelves, unless you are certain where they should go.
- Atlases, particularly national atlases
- Cartographic reference books
- Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 current maps of Great Britain
- Ordnance Survey 1:10560 (6 inches to 1 mile) Scotland (1st edition maps in large volumes)
- Pre-1850 Scottish maps (photocopies in folders).
Most maps are kept in closed stacks and are fetched in a few minutes by staff when requested. An enquiry desk and experienced staff are always on hand and we recommend that you ask staff before consulting map catalogues and lists.