Items that you consult in the Special Collections Reading Room are precious, and need to be treated with care.
Before you enter the reading room:
You must leave the following items in a locker in the cloakroom beside Readers' Registration:
- Outdoor coats and jackets
- Wet outer garments and umbrellas
- Bags larger than 29cm x 21cm (A4)
- Any items of food or drink.
Lockers take a £1 coin. Staff at the café till will give you change if you need it.
In the reading room:
- You can only use pencil to write with, for the protection of collection items
- You can buy pencils in the Library shop on the ground floor
- Please be careful not to write on, lean on, mark or place working papers on top of any Library material
- You should ensure that your hands are clean before handling Library materials
- Wherever practicable, you should read material on the book supports provided. We can give you weighted beads to hold volumes open
- Please follow lines of text using the slips of paper provided
- If you are using photographic or painted materials, you must wear the cotton gloves provided
- Please report any defect, damage or unopened pages to the invigilator.