PDF version (72 KB; 10 pages)
Boardroom, George IV Bridge, National Library of Scotland.
Present: Kenneth Calman (Chair) (KC), Neil McIntosh (NMc), Fiona Robertson (FR), Noreen Adams (NA), Ruth Crawford QC (RC), Dianne Haley (DH), Simon Learoyd (SL), Iain Marley (IM), Adrienne Scullion (AS), Amina Shah (ASh), Melissa Terras (MT) and Carmel Teusner (CT).
In attendance: John Scally (National Librarian) (JS), Anthony Gillespie (Associate Director of Business Support) (AG), John Coll (Head of Access) (JC), Alex Miller (Head of External Relations and Governance) (AM), Robin Smith (Head of Collections and Research) (RS), Linda MacMillan (Capital Projects Programme Manager — item 13) (LMac), Jan Usher (TUS Representative) (JU), Mungo Bovey QC (Faculty of Advocates) (MB) and Helen Jackson (Board Support and Compliance Officer — minutes) (HJ).
Minutes of meeting
The meeting opened with a preview presentation about the 'Wee Windaes' website project by Alice Heywood (AH), Learning and Outreach Officer. The project, to be launched on 1 December by Scotland's Cabinet Secretary for Education, John Swinney, was a collaboration between the Library, Creative Scotland and Education Scotland. It aimed to raise awareness of the Scots language as it had been spoken, written and enjoyed down the centuries.
The Chair thanked AH for the presentation.
1. Chair's welcome:
The Chair welcomed members to the meeting and thanked the previous Chair, James Boyle. He spoke about the function of the Board and members' duties to ensure good governance, to support staff, and to enjoy being a part of the Board and the Library.
The Chair noted:
- The reappointment of Neil McIntosh (NMc), Simon Learoyd (SL) and Melissa Terras (MT) for a second, four-year, term following the end of their initial three-year terms
- The Board's decision not to routinely have a private session before future Board meetings.
2. Apologies for absence:
Apologies were received and noted from Helen Durndell (HD).
3. Declaration of interests:
The Chair requested any declarations be made at the appropriate point in the agenda.
4. Minutes of meeting of 26 September
The minutes were approved with the following amendments:
- Item 7, Audit Committee minutes: the final bullet point should refer to Causewayside, not Kelvin Hall
- Item 14, Kelvin Hall transition: bullet point three should read 'The "Amber" assessment on Health and Safety would shortly be upgraded to "Green".'
5. Actions outstanding and matters arising from previous
The actions were all noted as completed.
6. National Librarian and Chief Executive's
JS thanked staff for their engagement and for providing stories.
- The Board commended the report's presentation and content
- NMc congratulated JU on winning the GIG Award for 2016
- JS highlighted the Research Slam: a staff suggestion in line with Library strategy, with staff supported in taking a risk
- RC asked if the Research Slam would be filmed and made available online. JS confirmed it would not. He noted the suggestion for future Slams
- DH noted she had been unable to access Gill Hamilton's CILIPS presentation. HJ to provide link
- NA asked if a Gaelic Wikipedian-in-Residence had been appointed. JS confirmed 44 applications had been received. An appointment would be made in two to three weeks
- AS queried the agenda of JS's 7 Nov Wellcome Trust meeting. JS and RS outlined the meeting: a catch up/review
- NMc suggested Library resources including the Moving Image Archive had potential for dementia work, of possible interest to the Wellcome Trust. KC noted a public health film research PhD being carried out at Kelvin Hall. JS noted a joint programme of events between the Library, the National Galleries of Scotland, the Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh, and the National Museums of Scotland for people affected by dementia.
7. Library Plan — Q2 update:
JS spoke to paper BM/16/53 and noted:
- 88% of targets were on schedule to be met
- Achievements in Q2 included the opening of Kelvin Hall and the beginning of retroconversion work
- The 'Amber' targets included:
- Digital Preservation Programme: should be 'Green' towards the end of 2016/17
- Audience Development Plan: delayed due to Kelvin Hall commitments. Should be 'Green' by end 2016/17
- Supporting 50 young people. This was a stretch target; in
retrospect it was perhaps set too high. Eight young people had been
supported, with twelve coming through as Skills for the Future
trainees, subject to HLF funding. Other Youth Employability work
— Four young people recruited through youth friendly recruitment processes since 2014
— Eight young people given employability support in 2016/17
— Two current Career Ready mentors in place, with six Career Ready pupil groups having visited the Library since 2014
— £20k received from Bòrd na Gàidhlig for a young Gaelic Digital Assistant.
- Refresh Library website: 'Green' by the end of Q3
- Causewayside refurbishment: roof will be completed by the end of 2016, putting the works back on track.
- Eleven KPIs were 'Green.' The two 'Amber' KPIs were:
- Hidden collections: on target by number of items, but KPI measures number of completed collections
- Fundraising: to be discussed at agenda item 8.
The Board discussed the paper:
- FR suggested the report could be improved by adding 'so what?' and 'what next?' questions to the KPIs and main targets to ensure the focus was on outcomes
- FR and RC requested missed targets were linked to risks and information was provided about criticality and impact
- CT suggested ranges were considered for some targets
- AG confirmed the Library Leadership Team (LLT) would be discussing KPIs for 2017/18 at an Away Day on 29 Nov
- MB highlighted recent disruptions to electronic legal deposit, noting access had been restored and Stuart Lewis (Head of Digital) was engaging positively with the Advocates' Library
- MT noted she had met Library staff about digitisation and had observed some confusion about direction and priorities. JS noted the management and structure of this process would be discussed at the LLT Away Day. It was agreed it could also usefully be discussed at the Board's February Away Day. HJ to add to list of proposed agenda items.
8. Fundraising update:
AM introduced paper BM/16/54 and the Board discussed it:
- AM noted fundraising income had been healthy in Q1 and Q2, with 49% of the 2016/17 target achieved. However, the full year's target was unlikely to be achieved
- AM stated the target had been increased by 50% since 2012/13, from £400,000 to £601,000 in 2016/17
- MB noted legacy giving could be linked to individual donations of books/libraries
- MB restated an idea from the Board's Away Day in Feb 2016: seeking sponsorship for exhibitions. AM noted this had been tried in the past with the help of an external consultancy. It had been unsuccessful and had concluded it is difficult to obtain commercial sponsorship in competition with the much higher footfall of National Museums Scotland and National Galleries of Scotland. Business sponsors, unlike donors, look for hard targets in return for their funds. Other fundraising activities should take priority
- MB noted Lady Balfour's success in raising money for the John Murray Archive. AM confirmed the Library was still in touch with Lady Balfour. Sustaining relationships with donors and those who could open doors was important
- SL suggested considering where non-government funding fitted into Library finances to establish its purpose and to set reasonable targets. DH agreed with this strategic approach and noted the size of the development team, of 2.6 FTE staff, should also be considered
- ASh noted funding outside the cultural stream could be considered. Funds were available from the Scottish Government for attainment and digital; a partnership approach might be successful
- The Board agreed fundraising could usefully be discussed at the February Away Day. HJ to add as proposed agenda item.
9. Loan agreements:
The two loan agreements in paper BM/16/55 were approved.
10. Loan agreements — definition of 'major'
The definition of 'major' loans outlined in paper BM/16/56 was approved.
11. Verbal update from the Audit Committee of 14
SL summarised the Audit Committee meeting, noting:
- The two most significant items would be covered as items 12 and 13 on this agenda
- The internal audit of business continuity planning had highlighted some areas requiring improvement. An action plan and timeline were in place to resolve the issues
- Audit Scotland had taken over from PwC as external auditor
- The Committee met the investment managers managing the Library's endowments. The Committee would be reviewing performance. A retender for investment management services would start at the end of the 2016/17 financial year. The Committee decided a fuller discussion about investment risk appetite was required
- Strategic risks had been discussed and would be discussed further at the next Committee meeting.
The Board discussed the issue of strategic risk and risk appetite generally. It was agreed this could usefully be discussed at the February Away Day. HJ to add as proposed agenda item.
12. Finance Report to end of September 2016 (Quarter
AG introduced paper BM/16/57 and invited comments:
- AG noted the Library was still awaiting confirmation of Kelvin Hall running costs from Glasgow Council
- AG noted Causewayside spending was speeding up
- AG noted the 2017/18 budget would be discussed at the LLT Away Day
- ASh asked if staff taking Voluntary Early Exit (VEE) were concentrated in one area. AG confirmed seven of the eleven FTE posts would come from Collections Management, largely in response to e-legal deposit changes
- MB asked if the Board would be notified if staff taking VEE were re-employed. JS confirmed re-employment was highly unlikely even once the agreed timescale for re-employment was spent
- FR asked if the net recurring saving from the VEE accrued to the Library or whether the Scottish Government would reduce funding. AG confirmed it should accrue to the Library.
Linda MacMillan (LMac) joined the meeting.
13. Capital Projects Dashboard Reports:
LMac answered questions on paper BM/16/58.
- CT asked about future reporting. AG confirmed this would be the final Dashboard Report for Kelvin Hall
- IM asked whether there was a situation where the lack of a formal wayleave was a risk to the Library. LMac confirmed it would not stop the Library activating the fibre connection. She was confident the Library would get the wayleave.
- LMac confirmed the roof would be completed by the new contractor, with phase 1 due for completion before Christmas and phase 2 due to end in March 2018
- SL asked if the cashflow graph should cause concern. AG confirmed updated cashflows had been received from the Quantity Surveyor and were being examined. IM confirmed the merging of the predicted and actual spends was good: the project was getting back on programme
- KC thanked LMac and her team.
Linda MacMillan (LMac) left the meeting.
14. Draft minutes from the Staffing and Remuneration
Committee of 12 October 2016:
NMc spoke to paper BM/16/59.
- The Pay Award would be discussed at agenda item 15
- NMc noted CT had met Janet Stewart (HR Manager — JSt) to discuss data presentation and the equalities report
- NMc provided an update on the staff survey. Response rate had been 79% (81% in 2015). The survey would be discussed at February's S and R Committee and reported to the Board
- KC noted the meetings cycle could usefully be discussed at the February Away Day. HJ to add as proposed agenda item
- MB commented on Keith Stewart QC, from the Faculty of Advocates, leaving the Committee meeting while a confidential item was discussed
- NA asked if the equalities report had included pay parity. NMc confirmed the grading system meant there was no suggestion of a male/female pay divide
- JU commented on the zero incidence of work-related anxiety. She noted that, anecdotally, some staff did not want to identify stress as work-related
- RC asked about issues relating to diversity and protected characteristics. CT noted the equalities report provided data on all protected characteristics. However, there were gaps in the data because disclosure is not required from staff
- CT noted JSt would circulate the draft equalities report to the Board before publication. HJ to add to agenda planner.
15. Pay negotiations update:
The 2016/17 staff pay award was approved.
16. Kelvin Hall transition:
JC presented paper BM/16/61 and invited comments:
- JC noted the cultural launch attended by the First Minister had been successful and received positive media coverage.
- The two 'Amber' activities were:
- Health and Safety: child protection policy. There is a
stringent child protection policy in place, from Glasgow Life.
However, the Library planned to create its own policy. This will be
complete in early Jan 2017.
IM asked for confirmation that Health and Safety training had been provided and a risk assessment document was in place. RS confirmed Health and Safety training was scheduled for w/c 5 Dec and the risk assessment had been received.
FR asked if a child protection policy was in place for other Library sites. JC advised that procedures were in place for staff who work with young people and all staff had the necessary disclosure requirements. However, it had been agreed with HR that the Library needed to develop a Library policy and training programme to reflect the differing access for the Library's buildings.
- Exhibitions: now 'Green.'
- Health and Safety: child protection policy. There is a stringent child protection policy in place, from Glasgow Life. However, the Library planned to create its own policy. This will be complete in early Jan 2017.
- JC provided up-to-date metrics. 5,380 visits had been recorded to 28 Nov, suggesting the annual target of 11,500 would be exceeded. All targets will be reviewed in Mar 2017
- NA asked about opening hours. JS noted this was an active topic of discussion within the Library, and would be assessed at the LLT Away Day
- NA asked if additional external branding would be permitted. JS noted this was an active topic of discussion with partners
- NMc asked if it would be possible to get image screens in Kelvingrove Museum. JS noted
- MB suggested advertising at Kelvin Hall station. JS confirmed advertising had been placed at Kelvin Hall, several other stations, and in subway trains
- SL asked about health and safety plans and business continuity plans for the shared spaces. RS confirmed all policies were aligned as part of the management agreement.
17. Health and Safety Report/Business
AM invited questions on paper BM/16/62:
- The Rivo Safeguard system used to record Business Continuity Plans was discussed. AG confirmed the net cost was £1,500 — without partners this would be £6,000. The Board agreed moving away from Rivo would be retrograde
- AM confirmed discussions about sharing costs with partners Glasgow Life were underway.
18. National Library of Scotland Foundation
The Board discussed paper BM/16/63:
- It was agreed the Foundation could usefully be discussed at the February Away Day. HJ to add as proposed agenda item
- MT requested a paper for the Board on item 16.3 of the minutes: how digitisation activities would be continued after the Foundation's funding ceases. HJ to add to agenda planner
- NA welcomed seeing the Foundation's minutes.
19. Board Away Day agenda:
HJ tabled a first draft agenda for discussion and information about a proposed venue, The Melting Pot.
The Board held a general discussion. In addition to the proposed agenda items minuted previously, the following were suggested:
- NMc suggested staff support and development
- DH suggested culture change (The Changing Library programme/management).
KC asked HJ to email all Board members with the list of suggested items for further discussion. He also asked Board members to consider the venue, and whether they wished to attend a dinner the night before, noting this had cost implications.
John Scally (JS), Anthony Gillespie (AG), John Coll (JC), Alex Miller (AM), Robin Smith (RS), Jan Usher (JU) and Helen Jackson (HJ) left the meeting.
20. Confidential agenda item: National Librarian pay
Minuted by FR.
The Board considered a confidential paper in relation to the National Librarian's pay award and approved the recommendation therein.
21. Date of next meeting:
Monday 27 March 2017 at Kelvin Hall, Glasgow.