PDF version (4 pages; 39 KB)
Board Room, National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge Building.
Present: James Boyle (Chair) (JB), Neil McIntosh (NM), Dianne Haley (DH), Fiona Robertson (FR), Simon Learoyd (SL), Adrienne Scullion (ASc), Carmel Teusner (CT), W. Shields Henderson (WSH), Amina Shah (ASh), Helen Durndell (HD) and Iain Marley (IM).
In attendance: John Scally (Chief Executive) (JS), Duncan Campbell (Deputy Chief Executive) (DC), Darryl Mead (Deputy National Librarian) (DM), Anthony Gillespie (Head of Finance) (AG), Jan Usher (TUS Representative) (JU), Mungo Bovey (Representative from Faculty of Advocates) (MB), Robin Smith (Head of Collections) (RS), Alex Miller (Head of Communications) (AM), Graeme Forbes (Head of Ingest) (GF), Bryan Christie (item 8) (BC), Fred Saunderson (item 13) (FS) and Layla Smith (Minutes) (LS).
Minutes of meeting
Welcome and opening comments
JB welcomed all in attendance and noted the full agenda to be covered.
There were apologies noted from Noreen Adams (NA), Melissa Terras (MT), Jonathan Lake (JL).
2. Declaration of interests:
No declarations of interest were made.
3. Minutes of meeting of 15 December
The minutes were approved as an accurate record of the meeting.
4. Actions outstanding and matters arising from meeting
of 15 December 2014:
The outstanding actions were updated.
5. National Librarian and Chief Executive
Paper BM/15/03 was discussed and commended by the Chair; it was noted that this was an evolving report and the Board were asked to provide comments on the structure and content. MT had requested by email that if individual papers were available that these be shared for information.
A paper relating to a proposed brand refresh was circulated by AM. The Board raised some queries in relation to cost implications and AM advised that the new branding would be introduced on a gradual basis.
The Board requested that a letter of thanks be written on their behalf to the recently departed Head of Human Resources and Organisational Development.
6. Loan agreements for approval:
All the loan agreements proposed were approved except BM/15/04a, which was withdrawn at the request of the borrower.
7. Strategy — Revised draft:
Paper BM/15/05 was presented by JS; it was noted that this draft reflected the discussions from the Board Away Day on 23 February 2015 with the final document to be submitted for approval at the June meeting of the Board.
The comments noted on the revised draft are as follows:
- Perhaps include a seventh issue (p.34) on financial constraints
- Values — consider terminology, perhaps skill or refer to quality of staff and dedication rather than hard work
- Outcome re. inequalities (p.40) rather than 'tackled' possibly 'a full contribution to...'
- Prioritisation of the options – the Board were keen to see some identification of this
- Replace 'In the UK' with 'In the British Isles' (p.34 line 3)
- Further consideration as to what is in fact a value or an enabler rather than a characteristic
- Possibly include greater reference to the Library 'leading' and 'agenda setting'
- Lack of reference to the international element of the Library's reach within the Strategic Priorities
- P.41 under 'About the Library', bullet point 6 — suggested rewording to 'Our collection has areas of unique depth which provide unparalleled resources in their subject areas: for example, we have 800 books on the history of quilting'.
There was considerable discussion in relation to the Library's funding position. The Board discussed the read across between the Strategy and the Corporate Plan.
The Board were content with the draft Strategy and looked forward to receiving the final version at their June meeting.
Thanks were tabled to all those involved in the writing and production of the strategy.
8. Approval of Corporate Plan and Associated
Paper BM/15/06 was presented and discussed with the following points being noted:
- Due to this being the final year of the Government spending review this was a single year plan. The usual three year Corporate Plan will be provided for 2015/16 onwards
- Discussion of the possibility of producing a five year plan containing a detailed three year and outline final two
- Possible inclusion of financial or numerical objectives which are cross referenced with the items in the Strategy
- Reference to the IT Strategy or Plan would be included
- The Board considered that the reduction in the collection purchase fund to £0.5m was unsustainable. The Board is resolved to support the National Librarian and the Library in all their endeavours to protect and increase the Collection Purchase Fund
- Read across between the narrative of the Corporate Plan and the Strategy needs to be clear and crisp; what functions and activities are related to the collection, the organisation itself and what would be value add
- The Board were pleased with the inclusion of the KPI figures and wished to see regular reports on these.
The Board approved the Corporate Plan and Associated Budget.
9. Minutes of Audit Committee meeting, 16 February
SL spoke to paper BM/15/07 providing an update on the recent meeting of the Audit Committee.
The proposal of Shields Henderson as a member of the committee was approved by the Board.
10. Quarter 3 Financial report:
AG presented paper BM/15/08. It was noted that this paper had been agreed by both the Library Leadership Team (LLT) and the Audit Committee.
The Board advised they were satisfied with the contents of the report.
11. Minutes of Governance Committee meeting, 6 February
FR spoke to paper BM/15/09 providing an update on the committee's review of the Library's governance documentation. It was noted that these would be on the agenda for the Board meeting in June 2015.
12. Scottish Government NDPB Framework
Paper BM/15/10 was presented by FR as Chair of the Governance Committee. It was noted that paragraphs 42 and 50 had been amended since the Board last reviewed the document and that the Governance Committee had reviewed and accepted these amendments.
The Board approved the NDPB Framework document. The document would now progress to ministerial approval.
13. Public Sector Information Regulations
Fred Saunderson (FS) joined the meeting to present paper BM/15/11.
A question was raised on when information would be available on the legislation as enacted and FS advised that this was likely before June.
There was some discussion on possible implications for income generation with FS reporting that this was under review. There should be little or no effect on reprographic income but there may be an effect on income from the sale of permissions for reproducing items.
The Board approved the Statement of Public Task as required under the Reuse of Public Sector Information Regulations.
14. Equalities Mainstreaming and Outcomes
DC presented paper BM/15/12 providing some detail as to the background and legislative requirements.
It was noted that the Staffing and Remuneration Committee would wish to explore the contents of the report in further detail and it was to be included on the agenda of their next meeting.
The Board approved the Equalities Mainstreaming and Outcomes report for publication.
15. Annual review of Committee Terms of
Paper BM/15/13 was considered and accepted by the Board.
16. Minutes of Staffing and Remuneration Committee, 11
NMc spoke to paper BM/15/14 providing an update as to the recent meeting of the Committee.
It was noted that the informal meetings, prior to the formal committee meeting, with the Trade Union Representatives had been well received.
The Board were asked to note that Moira Methven had been co-opted to the committee.
17. Brief for Organisational Review:
JB advised that paper BM/15/15 had been reviewed by the Staffing and Remuneration Committee and had been discussed at the recent Board Away Day.
The Board thanked those involved for the work undertaken on this.
18. Strategic Risk Register:
AG presented paper BM/15/16 and noted that this had been revised after discussion at the Audit Committee.
The Board raised the following points:
- Risk S3 — review risk impacts for
- Possibly include additional risk on 'Duty of care'
- Clarification as to the Library's position in terms of Public Liability.
19. Kelvin Hall update:
DC provided a verbal update on the Kelvin Hall project noting that the previously advised procurement deadlines for Workstreams II and III had now been revised to November 2015.
The Board were also advised that the project at George IV Bridge was now complete, on time and on budget.
20. Health, safety and security report:
DC presented paper BM/15/17. It was noted that near misses were recorded and reported to the Library Leadership Team.
21. Minutes of the NLS Foundation
AG presented paper BM/15/18.
Shields Henderson recently recruited to the Board of the Library had agreed to remain a member of the Foundation Board.
It was noted that there was another vacancy on the Board of the Foundation for a member of the Board of the Library. Interested Board members were asked to contact FR as the Chair of Governance Committee.
22. Date of next meeting:
8 June 2015
Visits to Scottish Screen Archive and Kelvin Hall coordinated for the morning of 8 June.