All parts of the National Library of Scotland's collections should be made available for present and future generations.
The Collections Care division is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive policy and strategy to preserve the Library's collections.
Areas of work encompassed by our team include:
- Conservation, whereby remedial treatments are applied to items in the collections, using condition surveys to establish priorities
- Preservation, including the manufacture of boxes and enclosures, the monitoring and control of the environment and disaster control
- Collections care training and awareness, oxes-and-enclosuresto ensure that the collections are handled and used appropriately
- Delivering the collections care element of in-house exhibitions, and organising loans for external exhibitions
- Providing external services, to give training and advice to the library community in Scotland and beyond.