'Shinty: A short history
of the ancient highland
'A history of Strathglass
Shinty is a team game with ball and stick, played mainly in the Highlands of Scotland or by Highland migrants. This list includes a selection of the National Library of Scotland's books and serials about shinty, or with significant shinty content.
- 'British calendar customs: Scotland', by Mary Macleod
— Contains a history and description of the game, along with a selection of references to shinty in other works: Vol.II, p111-116 [Library shelfmark: Lit.S.61]
- 'Constitution and rules of play, 1935-1936. Roll of honour of players killed in the Great War', Camanachd Association, 1935 [5.4150]
- 'Football, golf and shinty, hockey, polo, and curling', by Captain Rawdon Crawley [K.212.g.1(2)]
- 'Camanachd!: The story of shinty', by Roger Hutchinson [N3.205.4594L]
- 'Shinty: A short history of the ancient Highland game', John Ninian Macdonald [T.234.c]
- 'Not an orchid', by Hugh Dan MacLennan
— Inscribed by author [H8.95.647]
- 'Shinty dies hard: Scotland's national game. A re-assessment and re-definition with particular reference to its survival and development in the nineteenth century in Australia, Canada, England and Ireland', by Hugh Dan MacLennan [HP4.99.525]
- 'Handbook of hints on playing shinty, etc.', Schools' Camanachd Association, 1939 [5.862]
- 'Sport in the making of Celtic cultures', edited by Grant
— Includes an essay by Hugh Dan MacLennan: 'Shinty and the Celtic celebration of new year' [Q3.200.0881].
Regional and club histories
- Records of the Camanachd Association, 1893-1989 [Acc.11384]
- 'The first hundred years: A short history of Inverness Shinty Club', by Hugh Barron [HP2.87.4438]
- 'A history of Strathglass Shinty Club', by Hugh Barron and John W Campbell [HP1.79.4938]
- 'The Hail: 2001-2011 — a decade of Northern California Camanachd', by Michael Ross Bentley [PB6.215.680/12]
- 'The caman is their pastime from the cradle to their graves: Shinty in Badenoch and Strathspey 1747-1939', by Rosemary Gibson [PB3.213.54/12]
- 'Oban united in sport: A pictorial record', by Alan Hill and Donald Skinner [PB5.209.137/9]
- 'The Kyles = (na Caol): A celebration of 100 years', by Iain Thorburn [H3.96.2342]
- 'Toss thine antlers, Caberfeidh: Celebrating 125 years', Strathpeffer, Ross and Cromarty, Caberfeidh Shinty Club [PB6.215.255/7].
Serials and yearbooks
- 'The Camanachd Association annual', Camanachd Association [HP.sm.562]
- 'Highland football and shinty' [HJ11.162]
- 'Highland football and sport' [DJ.l.322]
- 'Shinty world' [DJ.l.319(5)]
- 'Shinty yearbook' [HJ8.5952, DJ.m.3046(3), HP.la.57, P.sm.2331].
Fiction for adults
- 'Scotch on the rocks, or, The Camanachd Cup', by Roy McCormick [PB5.213.1388/3].
Fiction for children
- 'The shinty match', by Neil Beaton [PB5.214.124/4]
- 'The shinty boys', by Margaret Macpherson [NG.1649.d.2].
Email Ian Scott — the Library's Sport, Leisure and Newspapers Curator — with any questions or comments about our sport collections.