Edinburgh Doors Open Day
25 to 26 September
This year’s Edinburgh Doors Open Day at the National Library of Scotland will take place online and in person at our George IV Bridge building.
The Library will host limited capacity tours of George IV Bridge on Sunday 26 September.
We will also be opening our doors virtually.
- You will be able to explore and discover hidden nooks in our Causewayside and George IV Bridge buildings through videos and virtual tours
- On Saturday 25 September, you can enjoy a 'Researching your house history' workshop. See our workshops and tours page for booking details.
We will publish full details here on Thursday 23 September.
Edinburgh Doors Open Day is organised by the Cockburn Association.
George IV Bridge building tours
We are opening our doors for tours of our George IV Bridge building for Edinburgh Doors Open Day.
Our guided tours will take you through parts of the Library that are not usually open to the public.
Learn about our building's history and discover hidden spaces like the towering, book-laden stacks and the mysterious underground area known as 'The Void'.
You need to book your place in advance.
If you have access requirements, please contact us before you book.
Sunday 26 September
Tours will run during allocated time slots from 10.00 to 17.00.
Tours are now fully booked.
During your visit
When you arrive for your tour, show the staff member at the front door your name or confirmation email.
You will be asked to use Check In Scotland - part of NHS Scotland's Test and Protect service — to log your visit.
The health and safety of our visitors and staff continues to be our top priority and we are complying fully with Scottish Government Guidelines:
- Wearing a face covering when you are inside the Library is mandatory, unless you are exempt under government guidelines
- Social distancing of one metre applies during your visit
- Hand sanitation stations are placed throughout the building
- We have implemented a one-way system with directional signage.
Please note that there are no waiting or meeting spaces inside, and visitors must queue outside the building. We advise that you arrive as close to your timed entry slot as possible. If you arrive more than five minutes after your timed entry slot, we will not be able to grant you entry.