We're delighted to reopen our exhibitions space in the George IV Bridge building to pre-booked visitors.
We still need to keep visitors and staff safe. You must wear a mask during your visit, unless you are exempt under Scottish Guidelines. See the 'During your visit' section for more health and safety information.
If you feel unwell on the day, do not visit the exhibitions. To cancel or re-book your visit please phone us on 0131 623 3700, Monday to Friday, between 10.00 and 16.00.
You need to book a one-hour slot before visiting:
- Book for exhibitions via Eventbrite
- Book by phone on 0131 623 3700, Monday to Friday, between 10.00 and 16.00.
You can book your visit up to two weeks in advance. Booking is free and open to everyone.
- The last available time slot for bookings will be 14.30 to 15.00.
- Please only book tickets for yourself and members of your household (including anyone in your extended household and support bubble).
- Everyone visiting the exhibition will need a ticket, including children under the age of five.
- If you have more than three people in your household, contact us to book your visit.
When you arrive
Please arrive within the half hour time slot of your booking. If you arrive early, you may need to wait outside the building to be admitted as there are no waiting or meeting spaces indoors. If you arrive more than five minutes late, we may not be able to admit you.
At the door a member of staff will greet you and verify your booking, show you the one-way system and direct you to the exhibition entrance.
You do not need to print your tickets for your visit. You can use your smartphone or tablet to show your tickets, or we can use your name to find your booking.
Are you collecting my details for contact tracing?
You will be asked to use Check In Scotland — part of NHS Scotland's Test and Protect service — to log your visit. There is an alternative paper option for Test and Protect for anyone without a smartphone.
During your visit
We have put new safety measures in place, in line with Scottish Government guidelines:
- We have limited the number of visitors in the space at any one time.
- Your booking slot is for one hour. Please remain mindful of the time while you explore the exhibitions.
- You begin your visit in the 'The Eye of a Stranger' display before moving on to the 'Petticoats and Pinnacles' exhibition.
- We have implemented a one-way system, which is marked with directional signage. This means it is not possible to move freely between the galleries.
- You will find hand sanitiser at all entry and exit points, and the galleries will be cleaned regularly throughout the day.
You can take pictures of the exhibition, providing you don't use flash.
At the entrance to the exhibitions, you can collect a 'Petticoats and Pinnacles' family trail activity sheet and an 'Eye of a Stranger' leaflet.
You can enjoy our 'Petticoats and Pinnacles' audio tour on Smartify. The audio tour is available through the Smartify app, which is free to download. If you have a smartphone, you can download the app on our free WiFi at the exhibition, or download it and listen to the tour at home. We are unable to provide headphones, but we recommend you bring some for the best listening experience.
I am mobility impaired. Is the exhibition accessible?
Yes. The exhibition spaces are on one level and are wheelchair accessible. There are lifts from the entrance level to the main visitor centre. You will find seating in the 'Petticoats and Pinnacles' exhibition, and staff at the exhibition entrance can provide additional seating if needed.
Do you have a hearing loop?
Yes. Please let the member of staff at the exhibition entrance know if we can help with that.
What facilities are available?
Toilets, including accessible toilets and baby changing facilities, are open and located on the same floor as the exhibition spaces.
The café and shop remain closed for now. Exhibition merchandise is available for click and collect or postal delivery via the online shop.
Because of the limited space in the locker area, lockers will not be available for exhibition visitors.