Entries for the 2010 poetry pamphlet publishing award made the job of choosing a shortlist 'very challenging'.
Judges in the 10th Callum Macdonald Memorial Award praised the standard of 41 pamphlets they have seen from across Scotland. The 7 shortlisted entries show 'a spirit of adventure in every aspect', said Tessa Ransford OBE, widow of literary publisher Callum Macdonald.
The award winners will be announced at a ceremony at the National Library of Scotland on Wednesday 19 May. The shortlist is:
- 'And for that minute', by Leonard McDermid - published by Stichill Marigold Press, Kelso
- 'Arc O Möns', by Christie Williamson - Hansel Co-operative Press (Christine de Luca), Edinburgh
- 'One bird flying', by Lesley Harrison - Mariscat Press (Hamish Whyte), Edinburgh
- 'Part truths', by Michael Pedersen - Koo Press (Douglas W Gray), Aberdeen
- 'Skirlags', by Nalini Paul - Red Squirrel Press, Orkney
- 'Songs from a dying village', by Tom Pow - Pueblo Press, Dumfries
- 'Galilee to Gallicantu', by Anne B Murray - Terra Firma Press, Glasgow.
Hugh Bryden of Roncondra Press, who is one of the judges, won the competition last year. The award is supported by the Michael Marks Charitable Trust.
- Poems from 'Postcards from the hedge', the winning poetry pamphlet in the 2009 competition
16 April 2010