printed by the Tragara Press.
A copy of the first separate work by Sylvia Plath to be printed is now at the National Library of Scotland.
'A Winter Ship' was produced as a leaflet in Edinburgh in 1960 by Alan Anderson, the founder and sole operator of the Tragara Press.
Anderson came across the poem through correspondence with Ted Hughes, Plath's husband. He printed around 60 copies of the leaflet and sent them to Plath, who enclosed many of them with her Christmas cards that year.
The Tragara Press operated from 1954 to 2012, with Anderson printing almost 300 works on his own printing press. As well as 20th-century poets, his publications included literature by authors from the 1890s.
The Library has added 'A Winter Ship' to its almost-complete Tragara Press collection.
Read more in the related media release.
17 December 2018