More services for visitors are returning to normal as we ease or remove restrictions introduced due to Covid-19.
Wearing a face covering is mandatory when you are inside the Library, unless you are exempt under government guidelines.
Hygiene measures remain in place.
You will be asked still to use Check in Scotland — NHS Scotland's Test and Protect service —when you visit. The QR code for scanning will be available at key points in the buildings, and paper forms are available for anyone who does not use a smartphone.
Please stay at home if you are unwell – anyone exhibiting symptoms of illness may be asked to leave.
Page updated: 27 September.
George IV Bridge building
Staff will be on hand to guide visitors and answer questions.
Most services have resumed, fully or in part, and we have now returned to full capacity in the reading rooms.
- We recommend preordering items before you arrive at the reading rooms – General Reading Room preorders and Special Collections Reading Room preorders
- Law materials for consultation in the General Reading Room will be available 24 hours after you have placed your order.
- We have slightly revised book delivery times – see General Reading Room book delivery times and Special Collections Reading Room delivery times
Some restrictions remain in place. You will not be able to:
- Consult special collections material in the General Reading Room
- Order or read highly treasured collection items
- Move chairs in the reading rooms
We have increased the capacity for visitors in the exhibitions area and there is now no need book. More about the exhibitions
Shop and café
The Library shop and the café are open Monday to Saturday, 10.00 to 16.00.
Maps Reading Room
We have increased the number of people who can use the Maps Reading Room.
You can collect a new library card or renew your membership when you visit the Causewayside building. Please remember to bring evidence of identity with you.
The health and safety of our visitors and staff continues to be our top priority and we are complying fully with Scottish Government guidelines.
Hand sanitation stations are placed in our buildings. To protect our staff, Perspex screens are in place at our reception areas and reading room desks.
Toilets are cleaned frequently. Other public areas are thoroughly cleaned daily, with high touch points cleaned throughout the day.
At present we are maintaining our programme of online events and workshops that you can enjoy from home.
Joining the Library
You can collect your new Library card or renew your membership at Readers' Registration in the George IV Bridge building or at the Maps Reading Room.
See our guide for donors if you wish to donate books or other items to the collections.