Update: 5 January 2021
Due to the latest Scottish Government restrictions relating to Covid-19, our buildings in Edinburgh and Glasgow will remain closed to the public until at least Tuesday 2 February.
We will continue to monitor the situation and will reopen our buildings when it is safe to do so, in line with government guidance.
Update: 21 December 2020
Following the latest Scottish Government restrictions due to Covid-19, we must close all our buildings once more.
We are closed from 16.00 on Wednesday 23 December until at least Tuesday 19 January.
We are sorry to have to close our Edinburgh reading rooms so soon after reopening, but we must do so to help keep the public and our staff safe.
As before, we remain very much open online. You can:
- Visit the digital gallery where you can access a vast amount of items we have digitised from our collections
- Use our eResources if you have joined the Library and your main address is in Scotland
- Attend online events or workshops
- View films from the Moving Image Archive
- Get creative with activities for families staying at home.
Our librarians are still here to help, although we are not available on these dates during the festive season:
- Thursday 24 to Monday 28 December
- Thursday 31 December
- Friday 1 to Monday 4 January.
On other dates, you can ask a question online using our enquiry form or via Library Chat. Chat is available 10:00-16:00, Monday to Friday.
The map download service from the map images website is operating as normal, with orders being processed within five working days, excluding the dates above.
Other digital download, print and photocopying services are unavailable until further notice.