An index to modern political manuscripts in the National Library of Scotland.
National Party papers
- SCOTTISH LIBERAL CLUB: Dep.275 & Acc.7107. minute books and house committee minutes books, 1879-1953.
- SCOTTISH LIBERAL PARTY & SCOTTISH LIBERAL DEMOCRATS: Acc.11765 & TD.3023 [this second reference is a temporary number until collection is listed and will change]. minutes and other papers regarding the East of Scotland Liberal Association, the Scottish Liberal Association/Federation, Scottish Women's Liberal Federation, Scottish Reform Club, General Election Addresses, Dumbartonshire Liberal Associations, Scottish Liberal Party Council and Executive, Midlothian Liberal Association, Scottish Liberal Free Trade Committee, J M Hogge Collection, Scottish Liberal Club, Geoffrey Taylor Collection, Haymarket Ward Liberal Association, Scottish Young Liberals, 1874-c1987.
Local Party papers
- BUTESHIRE, KILMARNOCK AND ARDROSSAN LIBERAL ASSOCIATIONS: Acc.12089. minutes and other papers, 1892-1929.
- KINROSS-SHIRE LIBERAL ASSOCIATION: Acc.9491. minute book, cash-book and some assorted letters and papers, 1889-1931.
- SOUTH EDINBURGH LIBERAL ASSOCIATION: Acc.9080 & Acc.12038. minutes and papers including minutes of the St Cuthberts Ward Committee and the South Edinburgh Women's Liberal Association, 1885-1973.
Papers of politicians
- GRIMOND (Joseph (Jo)), later Baron Grimond, Liberal M.P. for Orkney and Shetland 1950-1983: Dep.363. diaries, articles, reviews, speeches and correspondence, 1952-1983.
- GULLAND (John W.), Liberal M.P. for Dumfries Burghs 1906-1918: Acc.6868. correspondence, 1894-1927.
- HALDANE (Richard B.), later Viscount Haldane of Cloan, Liberal M.P. for Haddingtonshire 1885-1911, Secretary of State for War 1905-1912, Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain 1912-1915 and 1924 (Labour): MS.5901-6019, MS.20001-20260. a large collection of letters and other papers including papers of other family members.
- JOHNSTON (D. Russell), later Lord Russell-Johnston, Liberal MP for Inverness 1964-1983, Inverness, Nairn and Lochaber 1983-1997 (Liberal Democrat after 1988): Acc.11682. papers in process of listing, not normally available - please contact Manuscripts Division.
- MCLAREN (Duncan), Liberal M.P. for Edinburgh 1865-1881: MS.24781-24784. correspondence, 1827-1880.
- MCLAREN (John), later Lord McLaren, Liberal M.P. for Wigtown District 1880, Edinburgh 1881, Lord Advocate 1880, Lord of Session Scotland 1881, Lord of Justiciary 1885: MS.24785, MS.24789-24803. correspondence including some letters of Duncan McLaren, 1841-1909.
- MURRAY (Alexander W. C. O.), later Viscount Elibank, Liberal M.P. for Midlothian 1900-1905 & 1910-1912, Peebles and Selkirk 1906-1910, Chief Liberal Whip 1909-1912: MS.8801-8804. correspondence,1895-1920.
- MURRAY (Arthur C.), later Viscount Elibank, Liberal M.P. for Kincardineshire 1908-1918, Kincardineshire and West Aberdeenshire 1918-1923: MS.8805-8824. correspondence, photographs, diaries, notes and other papers, 1909-1962.
- PRIMROSE (Archibald P.), 5th Earl of Rosebery, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs 1886 & 1892-1894, Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury 1894-1895: MS.10001-10216 & MS.10250-10253. political correspondence and papers, 1860-1927.
- [note: the papers of John J REID (MS.19623), Secretary, Midlothian Liberal Association, concern the affairs of the Association with particular emphasis on the Midlothian Election campaign (1879-80), 1877-1884.]