At the National Library of Scotland we are committed to the mission, vision and guiding principles set out in our 2020-2025 strategy, 'Reaching people'. These are:
Mission: To enhance Scotland's international reputation by making a significant contribution to global knowledge and the memory of the world.
Vision: To create opportunities for people to participate in Scotland's rich cultural life as one of the leading national libraries in Europe.
How we work
The National Library of Scotland is a place for inspiration, exploration, and enjoyment. Everyone is treated with dignity and respect. These are our guiding principles:
- Open — We commit to openness and transparency in all areas of our work. We aim to make our collections and our related work free, open and reusable wherever possible.
- Trusted —We provide accurate and reliable information to support debate and discussion.
- Inclusive —We are responsive and inclusive as we build and interpret collections for current and future generations. We will challenge ourselves, our assumptions and our policies in order to create a more inclusive collection and a more diverse audience.
- Connected —We work collaboratively to improve our services and extend the benefits they offer.
- Inspiring —We believe in the power of the collections to change lives through learning, research, discovery and improved wellbeing. We actively support participation in culture and heritage for everyone.
- Responsible — We commit to minimising our environmental impact, and to creating a more sustainable, resilient and healthy environment for future generations.
Find out more in the in Library's 2020-2025 strategy, 'Reaching people'.