Several National Library of Scotland catalogues, indexes and databases are available online to help you find items in our collections.
In this section
- Library Search
- About Library Search
- Moving Image Archive catalogue
- Manuscripts catalogues and databases
- Scots Abroad databases
- Special and named printed collections (SNPC)
- Scottish theatre programmes database
- Rare Books important acquisitions directory
- Scottish song index — pilot database
More about this section:
Library Search replaced the main catalogue on 29 October 2018. Over four million records from the main catalogue are now available through a single search alongside details of manuscript and archives, moving image and digital collections, and electronic publications and databases.
A round-up of our catalogues and databases:
- Moving Image Archive catalogue: This catalogue contains details of 6,000 films and videos held in the Library's Moving Image Archive. Films and film clips are available to watch online. Read more about the moving images catalogue
- Manuscript catalogues and databases: We have the Archives and Manuscript Collections catalogue, and several other online finding aids that cover our manuscripts collections
- Scots Abroad databases: Four databases with details of material in the collections relating to the experiences of Scots overseas, particularly Scottish emigration
- Special and named printed collections (SNPC): A database with details of over 160 of our special collections
- Scottish theatre programmes database: Listings of programmes, playbills and posters from Scottish theatres and other venues, dating from 1900 onwards, in the Library's collections
- Rare Books important acquisitions directory: A regularly updated directory giving details of some of the most important items added to our rare book collections
- Scottish song index: This pilot database lets you trace some Scottish songs through their publication history. It is a conversion of part of the song card index at the Library.
- Millgate Union Catalogue of Walter Scott Correspondence: A listing of worldwide locations of letters to and from Sir Walter Scott
- Guide to Scottish newspaper indexes: A database giving details of Scottish newspaper titles that have an index
- Scottish Book Trade Index (SBTI): A searchable online index of printers, publishers, booksellers, bookbinders, printmakers, stationers and papermakers who were based in Scotland up to around 1850. Now hosted externally
- Scottish Books 1505-1660 (Aldis updated): A checklist of books printed in Scotland, or outside Scotland for the Scottish market, before 1641
- Scottish Bibliographies Online: A database with three separate components, including Scotland's national bibliography, which has records of material held at the Library and elsewhere
- Manual catalogues: Details of some collections are recorded only on manual catalogues and indexes.
Z39.50 profile: Configuration details and guidance notes.
Bibliography of Scottish Literature in Translation: This resource listing foreign translations of the works of Scottish authors from 1500 onwards is no longer maintained, although you can still consult archived data.