You can find details of most of our rare books in the main catalogue. However, some books are not recorded online, and you need other finding aids to order them.
- For pre-1501 books, use the Incunabula Short-Title Catalogue (ISTC)
- For pre-1701 Scottish books, check the online edition of Aldis, 'A list of books printed in Scotland before 1701'
- For pre-1701 British books, use the English Short-Title Catalogue (ESTC). You can also check the microfiche version of the Library's old card catalogue
- For most uncatalogued special collections basic lists or inventories are available from the Rare Books office. Check the directory of Special and Named Printed Collections for details.
- For many books and collections we do not hold, digital and microfilm versions are available. You can access them through special finding aids.
For non-book materials like newspapers, postcards or theatre playbills, check the relevant collections pages for details of finding aids.