Before we issue a library card, we have to see proof of identity and confirmation of address.
Ideally we need one or more documents that include your name and address, supported by a signature or photograph. If you cannot provide a form of ID that contains all the relevant details, we will accept personal ID plus an official document confirming your address.
Please note that we cannot accept electronic versions or print-outs of documents unless stamped by the issuing authority or organisation.
For example, we will accept a signed or photographic bankcard, plus a separate document giving proof of address, such as a recent utilities bill.
- Valid full UK driving licence listing current residential address
- Valid signed passport and official document listing current residential address
- University matriculation card should be presented by all university students with an official document listing current residential address
- National identification card with current residential address
- Bus pass and official document listing current residential address
- TV licence within the current year and official document bearing signature or photo
- Council tax bill / council rent book within the current year and official document bearing signature or photo
- Bank card and official document listing current residential address
- Recent utilities bill issued within the last three months and official document bearing signature or photo
- Recent bank or credit card statement issued within the last three months and official document bearing signature or photo.
School students aged 16 and over
School students aged 16 and over need to bring a signed or photographic bank card or a Young Scot card plus one of the following:
- Bank statement
- The letter that came with your National Insurance card
- Medical prescription
- Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit document that includes the name of the student
- A letter on headed paper from your school that confirms your name and home address.
We do not accept as proof of identity:
- Mobile phone bills
- Business cards
- Online retailer delivery notes / invoices
- Electronic versions or print-outs of documents.
Please note: It is your responsibility to provide official translations for foreign documents, where necessary.
If you are unable to provide evidence of name and address, please speak to a member of staff at Readers' Registration or email firstname.lastname@example.org.