- Due to our buildings being closed to the public, we are only able to process requests where a digital image already exists. Please contact us prior to completing the copy enquiry form to find out if an image is available. Update on Library services
Use the copy enquiry form to ask if we can copy an item for you from the collections.
Types of copies, charges and VAT
We can supply paper copies, PDF scans, photo-quality prints, JPEG and TIFF images. See the Imaging Services price list (PDF) (57.3 KB; 3 pages).
VAT will be added based on the country to which the invoice is addressed. VAT is chargeable only within the UK.
Please note: There is a minimum charge for orders delivered by post or download.
How to order
First we must check if the material you want a copy of is suitable for copying. Only then can we quote for your order.
Please note that we may be prevented from copying because of copyright restrictions, or the size or condition of the item, or because copying would damage the item.
1: Make an enquiry
Fill in the copy enquiry form to find out if we can copy an item for you. Read the notes about the form to make sure you give us all the details we need.
Notes about the form
- Fields marked * are mandatory.
- You can use the form to order several items at the same time.
- Give as much information as you can about each item, and be as specific as you can about what you want
- You must state the reference number for Archives and Manuscript collections.
- Use the additional instructions box to give us specific details ? for example, 'shrink to fit A4', 'print on gloss paper', etc.
- Include your email address so that we can send you a link to your order and contact you if we have any questions relating to it.
2: Review your order
Once we have received your request, we will check to ensure that it complies with copyright legislation. If all is well, we will prepare your 'shopping basket'.
We will copy in the most economical way we can to keep your costs down, unless you specify otherwise in the 'additional information' box on the form.
We will email you with a link to a web page giving details of your order and our charges.
3: Send your order
When you are happy with your order, go to 'Checkout', make your payment and send your order.
You have to agree to our digital orders terms and conditions before your order is accepted.
How to pay
We ask you to pay in advance for orders using one of these payment options:
- Debit or credit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo
- Via PayPal. You can also pay by debit or credit card via PayPal without setting up a PayPal account.
- Cheque against a UK bank (by arrangement)
- Cash, cheque, credit/debit card when placing your order on Library premises.
Organisations can pay by invoice. You will have the opportunity to quote any Purchase Order number(s) required and we will invoice you for work carried out.
Delivery and collection
When we receive your payment we will process your order and dispatch it as soon as possible. We aim to dispatch your order within 20 working days.
Prompt payment ensures prompt delivery. All UK orders by post are usually sent via Royal Mail, first class. We send overseas orders by airmail. JPEG images will be supplied via an electronic download link sent by email, with TIFF images written to disk and sent by post.
If you wish, you can collect your copies from the Library. Details of where to collect your order will be included in your basket. You will be notified by email when your order is ready for collection.
Under copyright law we can supply limited copies from works protected by copyright for non-commercial research or private study.
The amount we can supply is restricted by law to one article in any one issue of a periodical or a reasonable proportion of any other published work.
Many unpublished works are in copyright until the end of 2039 or later, irrespective of their age and the duration of copyright can vary, depending on the nature of the work.
In addition, the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) allows us to supply copyright-cleared copies under licence to:
- Educational establishments
- Registered charities
- Businesses — for the purposes of commercial research.
We levy a fee for these copies on behalf of the agency. Similarly we can supply copies of in-copyright Ordnance Survey maps on payment of a royalty fee to the Ordnance Survey.