Plan showing the layout of the shell
filling factory built at Houston in Renfrewshire in 1915.
From 1914-1918, Scotland, along with the rest of the British nation, made a full commitment to total war.
Industries vital to supplying Britain's armies quickly came under Government control.
In response to the shell crisis of 1915, David Lloyd George was appointed first Minister for Munitions, and he quickly intensified munitions production.
The Scottish (later 'Georgetown') Filling Factory was built for the Ministry of Munitions in 1915 to fill and assemble finished shells for guns at the Front. It had two railway stations and its own branch line. The factory closed and was decommissioned in 1919.
See maps and plans from the time of the Great War in our exhibition 'Behind the lines: Personal stories of the First World War', which ran from 27 June to 11 November 2014.