The Prince of Wales drives home the last rivet, 'Illustrated London News', 8 March 1890.
The Forth Bridge was completed in December 1889, and testing took place over the following weeks.
It was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on 4 March 1890, when he hammered in the last rivet.
Illustrations from the 'Illustrated London News' show the last rivet and the key used by the Prince of Wales to hammer it home:
See also: The opening day grand luncheon
These images featured in our display, 'The Forth Bridge: Building an icon', at the Library from 1 April to 21 June 2015.