We will work to ensure that everyone who can benefit from the Library's unique collections, services and expertise can do so, by improving access and creating a welcoming environment for all our visitors.
Our commitment to you
- Champion equality and diversity in everything we do
- Ensure all staff receive regular equalities and rights training to carry out their roles
- Develop our services and buildings so as to be open and accessible to all.
Courteous and professional
Our staff will be:
- Welcoming, helpful and identifiable by name
- Well-informed about our services and facilities
- Appropriately trained to deal with enquiries
- Courteous, accurate and unbiased in providing information.
Prompt and efficient
- Provide prompt assistance at all service points, both onsite and online
- Help you to find the information you need quickly and efficiently
- Aim to meet or exceed our service delivery targets
- Make every effort to put right problems of our making.
Reliable and consistent
- Keep our services open during advertised hours as far as reasonably possible
- Give at least one month's notice of any planned major change to our services
- Ensure equipment is in working order and provide back-up services wherever possible
- Provide a clean, safe and tidy environment
- Provide accurate and up-to-date information
- Preserve and secure the national collections to ensure present and future access for all.
- Welcome your comments and suggestions to help us improve our services
- Carry out regular surveys and research to ensure we continue to meet your needs
- Consult with you on specific topics such as major service changes
- Provide comment forms at all of our service points
- Welcome suggestions for collecting material which falls within our collection development policy.
Openness and confidentiality
- Comply with Freedom of Information law
- Process your personal information in accordance with data protection legislation.
- Ensure all enquiries received via 'Ask a question' will receive an automatic response
- Aim to answer 90 per cent of telephone calls to the main enquiry line within 20 seconds
- Aim to respond to 90 per cent of enquiries received by phone, letter, and 'Ask a question' within 10 working days
- Answer more complex enquiries within 20 working days
- Aim to dispatch 90 per cent of imaging orders within 10 working days of receipt of payment
- Respond to Freedom of Information requests within 20 working days
- Respond to requests regarding your personal data within one month
- Aim to deliver 95 per cent of items requested for consultation in our reading rooms within our published timescales
- Respond to complaints in writing within the timelines specified in our complaints procedure.
What to do if you have a complaint or suggestion
- You can make a suggestion or provide feedback on our services using the comments form
- You can make a complaint in person at any of our service points, by phone, in writing, by email, or by completing our complaints form.
What we ask of you
- Treat all Library materials with care
- Be courteous to all other visitors and staff
- Read and follow the Library's terms and conditions
- Help us improve our services by giving us your feedback.